System won't do a warm reboot

Thread: System won't do a warm reboot

Post System won't do a warm reboot

I have a 1gh athlon system on a gigabyte GA7DX motherboard (200mhz fsb). The system came with only an nvidia graphics card and a dial up modem. When I started adding peripherals (sound card upgrade and a network card were added)the computer stopped doing a warm reboot. Before the network card and sound card upgrade it rebooted just fine. Attempts to fix this problem by uninstalling the added peripherals has not worked. Anyone have any idea how to fix this, the system restore cd is not an option for obvious reasons. I'm running windows me

Dang bro that's a tough one. Well first thing's first, did you find a bios update? Some bios won't work correct with some cards (i.e SB Live 5.1 and Kt7a-raid). So check into that first. Then, make sure everything is inserted in the slots right and not half way out, same thing with IDE ports and and everything else. Let us know what happens.

rblockmon
    "Okay, I'm giving everyone the boot off the servers. I need Maximum Bandwidth!"

Cool

have u tried downloading the latest updates from the microsoft site? may or may not work, but worth a try.
    Question of the Day: If it Micro$oft didn't exist, how much easier would our lives be?

I have downloaded all of the updates off of the ms website and I have also downloaded and installed all 3 bios updates. I'm certain that there is no problem with the physical installations since everything worked just fine when it was in. The computer does as well as an ms operated system can be expected to do when I simply shut down and restart. When I attempt to do a warm reboot it gets to the beginning of the post, but before anything starts it kicks the monitor into powerdown mode and the computer simply sits there. It sometimes fails to start correctly when it hasn't been used for a day or more. The exact same thing happens as when I try a warm reboot, the computer fails to start the post and kicks the monitor into powerdown mode then everything just sits there like it doesn't know what to do.

That sounds like a driver problem not a bios problem.Check for upgraded drivers from net card and other add on cards you installed.

I would also try using another power supply.
    Weak power supply also could cause this problem as well.

You might try moving the network card and sound card to a different slot, some slots share IRQ's. Make sure the device can share an irq. My Abit board , PCI slot one shares an irq with the AGP card and slot 4 shares an irq with the USB so try swapping things around....might just work.

Surely removing all the expansion cards would have discounted the power supply problem (unless it was faulty)

One might want to try warm booting with a bootable floppy in the drive to see if it is actually conking out after accessing the hard disk boot record, or just at post. If it is conking out -at- post, I can't see how it can be a driver issue.