What to buy?

Thread: What to buy?

Post What to buy?

I'm completely oblivious to the laptop market. We use Toshibas and Dells at work, but I'd like to know what is considered the most reliable and worthwhile laptop brand. The Dell's at work have a lot of problems and the Toshibas are better except for some modem problems. I'm looking to buy a laptop for home use, but I'm lost on what to get. I'm looking to spend $1000 to $1500 for something respectable. Should I stay away from AMD powered laptops because of the heat generation that AMD is notorious for? Any help is welcome. Thanks all!
    A good friend will bail you out of jail, but your best friend will be the
    one sitting next to you saying,"That was f~@&ing awesome!"

I'm currently running an IBM laptop and have no issues with it, it's got a Intel P3 cpu. The warranty at IBM is top notch and there hardware is of very high quality. Other than a few burnt pixels on my display, i've never had a problem with this computer. I've heard of similar comments from other people who own them.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

We purchase strictly IBM equipment (hence the reason I'm employed where I'm at), and what problems I've had, I call up and usually have replacement parts in my hands by 10 the next morning.

We use Toshiba laptops with Xircom RealPort modem/NIC PCCards. No problems with these, unless somebody spills coffee on them