[RESOLVED] Win98 Drivers for Sony PCG-F610

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win98 Drivers for Sony PCG-F610

kgorman1

Exclamation Win98 Drivers for Sony PCG-F610

Hi. Due to issues w/ WinME, I've been forced to upgrade to Win98 on a Sony PCG-F610. I have been able to find a new video driver, but can't seem to locate the ESS drivers for the sound card and built in Modem. I can't seem to verify the model (short of ripping the guts out to find the chip set).

WinME has been altered and some specific VPN software as well as MS Office 97 no longer works on WinME. Sony doesn't offer in-depth technical support (the figure their stuff will only be used as-is and that no one would ever have a 'true' computing need) so they probably don't even understand my issue.

Of course I've asked ESS, but still no replay (within business days).

Has anyone else been running into these kinds of issues? WinME is horrible, and Vendor support is non-existant.

Thanks (Signed a furstrated user).

------------------
    Thanks,
    Kevin G.

Sebring

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. You said you were forced to upgrade to Win98? Are you talking about an upgrade CD or a full version? I wasn't aware you could load Win98 over ME without doing a clean install but you say ME has been altered and your some of your software no longer works? So you're back to ME now or 98? Either way, your drivers may still be on the machine. Have you tried the "Update Device Driver Wizard"? You can remove the sound card from the Device manager and let Windows find it on it's own when you reboot, occasionally it will load the old driver from the system folder automatically. However, since you've changed the O/S to 98 if that's what you're running now, then this may not work. When it asks you for the drivers you could try browsing to the system folder on the C: drive and see if it locates the files on it's own. Outside of more info that's about all I can offer right now. Good luck

------------------
    HEY! Who ate my cat?

kgorman1

(By upgrade, I've competely reformatted the hard drive and loaded Win98 on from scratch since there's too many problems with WinME).

------------------
    Thanks,
    Kevin G.

Sony has the WORST support website I have ever seen. Use the ess 688 or 1688 drivers, they should work, also use the default modem driver - it too should work. The other option is to reinstall ME, write down the devices that it finds, then look on the Windrivers site.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Jpbtennisman

Hey, it just so happens that I have a Sony PCG-F610 myself, and I have upgraded it to Windows 2000. Aside from the current lack of a driver that supports multiple monitors, it is great and supported all my devices. After I installed it I had to re-download a driver for my sound card and I was rolling. It hardly ever crashes and I can't live without it.

However, a problem i have run into on both Windows ME and 2000...the mouse locks up every once in a while for about a minute, then unlocks again. Are you having this same problem? I called Sony tech support and they, of course, somehow blamed it on me

Sebring

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jpbtennisman:
    Hey, it just so happens that I have a Sony PCG-F610 myself, and I have upgraded it to Windows 2000. Aside from the current lack of a driver that supports multiple monitors, it is great and supported all my devices. After I installed it I had to re-download a driver for my sound card and I was rolling. It hardly ever crashes and I can't live without it.

However, a problem i have run into on both Windows ME and 2000...the mouse locks up every once in a while for about a minute, then unlocks again. Are you having this same problem? I called Sony tech support and they, of course, somehow blamed it on me
    </font>
    Hey man, since you have one of these laptops, can't you check and see what sound card and modem are listed in the device manager so this guy can look for the right drivers?

------------------
    HEY! Who ate my cat?

DesertEagle

The mouse lockup issue could be caused by the system calibrating the touchpad. Every so often, my cursor on my laptop decides to go off on its own and the nstops after the calibration is done

------------------
    "Congress, the opposite of Progress"
    Gallagher