[RESOLVED] Sony Vaio - brightness/contrast control

Thread: [RESOLVED] Sony Vaio - brightness/contrast control

javarab

Post Sony Vaio - brightness/contrast control

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-F520 which had Win98SE factory-installed. I have since removed Win98 and installed Win2000. All is well except I cannot find a way to adjust the screen brightness and contrast (this was done using a hotkey under win98).

Has anyone experienced a similar problem on the Vaio? Is there any known cure?

Thanks
    Rab.

melmo

fn key and some other keys

ibennetch

I know that my Toshiba has some utilities avalible at their tech support web page that provide the interface for the fn keys (and other hot keys as well as the power management and some other Toshiba junk). I would guess that you could probably find something similar availible for download from Sony's site if you look around. this might take a phone call, too. good luck!

jiffy

There are not many drivers on any VAIO site, unlike IBM or DELL you will need the device name and search that site.

nolski

You probably figured it out by now, but just to see if you were able to do the same way.

Load Sony extended bios W2K then try to install Hotkey for W2K. It should work.

I'm having a similar problem. I purchased a Sony Vaio with Windows XP installed, and my fn key doesn't work at all. Is there some sort of override for this, because it's quite frustrating, as the brightness is very low.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to Windrivers bluekagami

Exactly which model Vaio do you have? Have you checked with Sony Support about this? When does the warranty expire?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I purchased a used PCG-FX340, and I have a year warranty with the used Laptop store I purchased it from, but I have no idea about the original warranty. As for contacting Sony Support, I have no idea how to do that. This is my first laptop. I'm pretty good with desktops, but this has me baffled.

Thank you for the warm welcome, NooNoo.

You must return it to the laptop store and use the warranty they provided you with.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

oh darn it. Thanks.

sony vaio brightness control

Hi, I've PCG-FRV25 model and brightness control hot key don't works. How can I solve it?
    Thhanks

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Hello javarab, and welcome to Windrivers.

According to the FAQ on Sony's site for your model, it appears that you may need to re-enable or reload the software that enables the hotkeys:

The special buttons, function keys or hotkeys on the computer or keyboard do not operate properly in the Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system.

Follow this procedure to enable the special buttons or function keys on the computer or keyboard in the Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system.

IMPORTANT:
    • If software has been installed for use with a third-party keyboard or mouse, uninstall the software to ensure there are no conflicts.
    • On AMD™ or Transmeta™ processor-based computers, the function keys are hardware controlled and not controlled by a hot-key utility.
    NOTES:
    • The volume button, brightness key, and disc eject button on some computers will not work if the HotKey Utility application is not running.
    • The Magnify button and the Fn keys will not function properly before the operating system has finished starting.
    • The setting may not be saved if the ESC key is used to close the Fn display. Press the ENTER key or allow the Fn display to close automatically to save the setting.
    1. Click the Start button, then click Run.
    2. In the Run window, next to Open, type MSCONFIG.
    3. Press the ENTER key.
    4. In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab.
    5. On the Startup tab, under Startup Item, ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox.NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the HotKey Utility application and the Sony Utilities Library.
    6. Click the OK button.
    7. In the System Configuration box, click the restart button.

hey!

i had the same problem and it took me really a long time to find out what is wrong (hotkeys!) and then how to get my hotkeys working again. now i solved this problem and if anyone has similar problems, here is the solution:

you need to go to http://esupport.sony.com click on drivers & software.

click on original drivers and software and put in your model number. my model of vaio (VGNA215M) was made exclusively for europe so i couldn't continue here but you will maybe be able to. i heard there are two files you need - one of them is sony shared library, the other is sony notebook utilities. The hotkeys should be working after installing the utilities, but you can't install them unless you already have the library on your computer.

however, if it doesn't work that way, go to http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/flash/hub_cons.html, chose your country and click on Drivers and utilities. then chose Originally installed and identify your computer. what you have to do at last: click the Original Utilities Package and install it. it worked for me, it should work for you too

katie