[RESOLVED] Gateway Solo 9100 Chassis replacement

Thread: [RESOLVED] Gateway Solo 9100 Chassis replacement

GirlGeek

Question Gateway Solo 9100 Chassis replacement

Does anyone out there have any information on chassis replacement on Gateway Solo's?
    I just bought a new chassis and there are no directions for it and if you call Gateway all you get is standard blah blah about voiding the warranty...and when you tell them the warranty expired 2 years ago......they just repeat themselves.
    Thanks in advance to any that can help!

carrienscott

Cool

What do you need to know? I used to be a corporate laptop technician for Gateway...

------------------
    It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

GirlGeek

I emailed you carrienscott...did you get it or shall I send it to a different address?

------------------
    Now...if I could only defrag my brain...

I would suggest looking on e-bay they have so many things for gateway solos it is anoying!

GirlGeek

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by digital951:
    I would suggest looking on e-bay they have so many things for gateway solos it is anoying!</font>
    I agree but there is nothing out there on directions. I don't mess with laptops much and chassis replacment (ie, screen replacement) makes me nervous. I bought the chassis off of ebay but so far no one has directions and I'll be darned if I'm going to pay Gateway to do it. Not to mention the nearest shop is 3 hours away.
    Thanks though!

------------------
    Now...if I could only defrag my brain...

DesertEagle

As a veteran of many different laptops, I know the feeling of terror firsthand when attempting my first laptop. Patience and organization are your best tools. Use an organizer to hold all the little screws and remember where they went. I was just wondering why you needed a new chassis? Did you drop your laptop?

GirlGeek

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DesertEagle:
    [B]As a veteran of many different laptops, I know the feeling of terror firsthand when attempting my first laptop. Patience and organization are your best tools. Use an organizer to hold all the little screws and remember where they went. I was just wondering why you needed a new chassis? Did you drop your laptop?

Thanks!
    What gets me is that I took out every imaginable screw and the darn thing was still as tight as when I started. I poked and prodded everywhere looking for hidden releases etc to no avail.

The reason I'm replacing it is becouse it developed hair line fractures by the speakers and they are growing. I found the chassis for all of $50 plus shipping so I felt it was a good investment to prolong the life of the laptop. I only use it for field work and can't get excited about replacing it completely.

Thanks!

------------------
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit, and
    the recipient who doesn't get it.

DesertEagle

As a short term fix for those cracks, I suggest mixing up some epoxy and carefully spreading it on the affected area. It doesn't look pretty but it does work. I used it to reinforce a broken case from the inside and it stopped the cracking very well.
    If you want to know if an IBM technician fixed computers where you work, check the bushes and look for screws.