[RESOLVED] Compaq LTE 5300 - Hard Drive upgrade?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Compaq LTE 5300 - Hard Drive upgrade?

DrWitch

Post Compaq LTE 5300 - Hard Drive upgrade?

Hi... I need to upgrade my hard drive in my old, old laptop (circa 1996-97). She is a Compaq LTE 5300, and uses a Compaq HD, in a metal case. Inside this case is a thin wire connector which is soldered to the drive, but is removeable from the case via screws. The case is what unplugs from the laptop to changeout drives. The drive's specs are as follows:

Manufacturer: Toshiba
    Model: MK1302MAN
    Power: DC +5V @ 0.8A
    Drive height: 17mm
    Capacity: 1358MB (1.358 Gigs)
    CYL:2633, Heads: 16, Sectors: 63
    The connector is: 34mm x 4.5mm, is rectangular with a keyway on both sides and at the top, and has 6010 EC molded on the top of the connector.

I suppose my question is. can I buy a generic laptop drive for this thing, and just put it into the case? Or a Toshiba drive, of some type? I am not that familiar with laptop hardware (other than my own), as this is the first laptop I have owned. I really like it, although it is a bit slow (P133, 48 MB RAM, 6x CD) and the battery time sucks (around an hour, if I don't use much peripherals). Besides, I really don't have the money for a new one right now.

As the Compaq replacements are expensive as hell for this laptop ($250+ for 2 Gigs!), and they don't have replacements over 3 GB anyway, Compaq drives are out of the question. I know that there is some kit made by Simple Technology, but that costs a bunch, too ($350+ for 4 GB, more 6 GB). Compaq says that the BIOS can handle a 5 GB, and maybe a 6 GB. I dunno how I am even gonna change the settings because the BIOS setup doesn't have a way to change hard drive settings, anyway... it must be an autodetect BIOS.

Anyway, sorry for the long-windedness, any thanks to any and all who can help, in advance...

ArtemK

It should take any laptop hard drive which will fit in that metal case (I mean physical dimensions) since MK1302MAN is a generic drive.

I have the 5280 and the case is just a safer transport mech - most any laptop drive will fit inside it - take the case to your local store and have fun.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

melmo

most of the time you can just slap any old 2.5" HD in there
    bios auto-detects the thing and yipee
    it's in there
    except toshiba 6 gig HD's in toshiba laptops