[RESOLVED] Getting new laptops without preinstalled software

Thread: [RESOLVED] Getting new laptops without preinstalled software

doctor.jeep

Question Getting new laptops without preinstalled software

Greetings!

I have a question for you people here. I frequently look for laptops for co-workers and clients. The problem is that quite a number of people likes tu run Linux or a *BSD variant on it. Therefore I see no need to buy a copy of Windows with the machine since it won't last because I usually delete it when installing the new OS.

Do you know any manufacturers that sell laptops without any preinstalled software except the BIOS?

I know that some vendors offer laptops preinstalled with Linux, but this does not help much if I intend to do the installation myself for others.

Yours virtually,
    doctor.jeep

------------------
    Misfortune, n.:
    The kind of fortune that never misses.
    -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

Andi

Thumbs up

There is a small print feature in the microsoft literature that comes with the OS that says something along the lines of a "refund" may be applied for if the OS is unused and still sealed.There was a recent test case,I believe in the US to prove its validity.

doctor.jeep

Smile

Hello!

Yes, I heard about the Australian sysadmin who got a refund from Toshiba. I don't mind creating some extra stress for people bundling their hardware with Microso~1 software, but surely there should be some sensible vendors out there that give their customers a choice.

Yours virtually,
    doctor.jeep

------------------
    Misfortune, n.:

Andi

Exclamation

There are suppliers who will sell you a PC minus an OS but I understand they give no guarentees- due to no OS to test with and I dont really think in the long run itll be any cheaper because of the bulk buy price thay pay for windows.

Andi

OOPS! forgot to add
    There are also suppliers who will use LINUX as an OS,bit of a change!

3fingersalute

If you buy a notebook with Linux on it, it's real simple to wipe it and load what version of Linux or BEOS you want, and since they are free OS's, it's not like your really paying anything extra for the anyways!

------------------
    Why do convenience stores that are open 24/7 have locks on the doors?

doctor.jeep

Talking

Thanks for your answers.

I will probably settle for an IBM since I have an old IBM Thinkpad 760EL that served me well.

Yours virtually,
    dj

------------------
    Misfortune, n.: