Overclocking a laptop? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Overclocking a laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by AlienDyne
    this post is kinda old
    True, danwat may not have recognised this, but he raised the current issue of the laptop on the bed, which I felt might be worth commenting on.

Hmm.. guys, this post is kinda old. 4 years later..
    Platypus is right, I get asked about this a bit so 4 years old or not, its still valid methinks ...

& I think he's also very right about this "A P4 is a bit of a different consideration, as they have quite sophisticated on-chip thermal control, if they get hot they slow down their processing: " - but that means just like danwat1234 said, the reverse can be true as well ..

But I think the simplest thing you can do to speed up a laptop significantly & safely (for your cpu) is to replace your very probably 5400 drive, with no cache to speak of, with a nice new 2 & 1/2 inch drive, which can now be found at not much price difference, going at 7200 with either 2mb or even 8mb of cache - that'll probably give your lappie a 'very noticeable' improvement

Ed-it : & of course max out its memory, laptop memory has also gotten much cheaper & it may make sense to 'throw out' small capacity modules to do this, as all o/s's go faster with more memory available.
    Last edited by confus-ed; May 25th, 2005 at 05:08 AM.

Platypus and Confus-ed, no need to explain. It was just a remark.
    I don't think posting on old threads is forbidden. After all it reminds us of the good old days..
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

it reminds us of the good old days..
    Yes indeed...

Platypus and Confus-ed, no need to explain. It was just a remark. I don't think posting on old threads is forbidden..
    I don't think you were here when it was ! .. the 'excessive' reviving of old threads still is - somebody got very carried away with the notion

But hell yeah when were those 'good old' days ? .. for todays quiz question : I wonder who was fighting who when this thread was originally posted ?

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    Yes indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    I don't think you were here when it was !
    Oh, I was! Trust me on that..
    Last edited by AlienDyne; May 25th, 2005 at 06:31 AM.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Smile Compaq 1275

I still have a Compaq Presario 1275 and all the info is still appreciated! I installed Windows xp on it and it seems to run much better. What I need to do now is put a larger hard drive in just to hold me off until I can buy a faster laptop someday! Thanks for all info even though my Laptop is ancient!

Tig :-)

With WinXP, there are a few ways to improve performance by disabling the unnecessary services(best to read carefully about this before attempting), and cleaning out the startup apps. Also turn off the themes and run it in classic mode.