Gateway Solo 2150 Laptop w/ HDD Password

Thread: Gateway Solo 2150 Laptop w/ HDD Password

Post Gateway Solo 2150 Laptop w/ HDD Password

I've got a problem with a Gateway Solo2150 Laptop. It has a HDD Password on it. I've done everything I can think of. I tried a different hard drive. I took the battery off for a week. Obviously it has a CMOS battery in there, but I cant find it, nor can I find any jumper or dipswitch for it.
    If anyone has any ideas or maybe a link to a website with some specs on it, your help would be most appreciated.

Thank you
    Roger: "Gotta light?"
    Sarien Guard: "Sorry, don't drink."
    -- Aboard the Deltaur

Originally posted by gorfdaed:
    I've got a problem with a Gateway Solo2150 Laptop. It has a HDD Password on it. I've done everything I can think of. I tried a different hard drive. I took the battery off for a week. Obviously it has a CMOS battery in there, but I cant find it, nor can I find any jumper or dipswitch for it.
    If anyone has any ideas or maybe a link to a website with some specs on it, your help would be most appreciated.

Thank you
    HDD password? are you sure you don't mean BIOS password? If so, read this:
    http://www.state.lib.la.us/Dept/Comp...Gates/bios.htm

Do NOT post the same question in more than one forum. See:
    http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...&f=17&t=005531

Topic Closed.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

I have this issue the last post refered to a post that is no longer there.
    One of our field reps put a HDD password on the laptop and cannot remember what it is.

in the bios there are selections for several passwords a power a bios and a hdd.

What I have found is that the password is not in the bios itself.
    I pulled the HD from the "locked" laptop and inseted it into another 2150 and the password is still present on the "new" laptop.

So the password is on the HD. I removed the HD attached an adapter stuck it in a desktop as the slave to see if it could be read.

Bios reconized the HD however windows did not I had then removed the hd and used a boot disk. tried to fdisk the HD and it came up with a "error reading fixed disc" message. So any ideas.

Formating the drive is not a option as there is data that needs to offloaded first
    Last edited by thorian; August 19th, 2004 at 02:24 PM.

Call Gateway - the security is there for a reason.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Call Gateway - the security is there for a reason.
    I already did they offered to sell me a HD for $160 what i really need is the Data oh well. Sounds like this one is offically closed. Poor slob I guess he learned not to messaround with the Bios. He lost his data and is being billed for the parts.

There are data recovery agencies that can "break" the password and recover the data for you.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    There are data recovery agencies that can "break" the password and recover the data for you.

Thanks for the info NOO NOO I completely forgot about those.
    as i have never used one. Ill send it up the pole and see if management would be interested in doing that

solo 2150

Hello:
    I have a laptop like yours adn I have a question. HOw do you connect to the internet? I noticed there is an ethernet port on back but I cannot connect using the cable through it. I also have a 3-com PCMCIA card that I cannot locate a driver to download for. I wish I had the answer for your problem but when I saw you had the same laptop I thought maybe you could explain how you get online. This is using WIN98 and is a friends laptop. We do not have the origional disks to use either. Thanks Mark

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Hello:
    I have a laptop like yours adn I have a question. HOw do you connect to the internet? I noticed there is an ethernet port on back but I cannot connect using the cable through it. I also have a 3-com PCMCIA card that I cannot locate a driver to download for. I wish I had the answer for your problem but when I saw you had the same laptop I thought maybe you could explain how you get online. This is using WIN98 and is a friends laptop. We do not have the origional disks to use either. Thanks Mark
    Hello and welcome to Windrivers.

Are you trying to connect to the internet via a broadband or dialup connection? - And if a broadband, is the local network already configured? (Do other pc's on network have internet access?)

If you are attempting to connect with the ethernet port in WIN98, you will need to make sure that you have the correct network settings (IP, Gateway, DNS, etc. or else DHCP).

Please provide us more info (as much as possible) including make/model of laptop, internet connection info, model # of PCMCIA card, etc.

Thanks !!!!