PDA/Pocket PC for Techs in IT Dept.

Thread: PDA/Pocket PC for Techs in IT Dept.

Question PDA/Pocket PC for Techs in IT Dept.

I am looking for a PDA/Pocket PC solution which would enable my department's techs to share information, keep passwords lists current, hold a troubleshooting database (mostly special tips and tricks with particular machines) and possibly even view and/or edit Office docs.

Easy (centralised?) synchronisation between PDAs is a must.

Palm already had a solution involving a "Sync server", but seeing Palm's current corporate situation, I'm not sure if investing in their products right now is a safe decision.

What recommendations would fellow techs have in regards to this?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I would reccommend a Palm OS based solution - PALM is not going anywhere - they may be absorbed, shuffle off extraneous pieces, but - they offer the BEST solution to what you need - there are more tech related e-texts for the PALM than CE, and many of them are FREE! - Personally I like the Palm V - or Palm VIIx (Connected) - I have three CE devices (HP 360LX, Nino200, Nino 500) and I am selling them all to get a Palm.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

I agree. Connectivity aside, if you want an always-on wireless workspace, Palm is the way to go, considering PPC batteries run out fast.

One of the things I have considered doing is buying a CF ethernet card for my Pocket PC, and with the vxUtil software I already have, I'd have a portable network diagnostic device! Just plug it in where ever the trouble is, and ping, tracert, etc. I think they also have a TFTP server for the Pocket PC, which could be handy if you deal with Cisco routers a lot.

Captain said:
    One of the things I have considered doing is buying a CF ethernet card for my Pocket PC...
    That sounds like a really good idea.

Does anyone know of similar products for PalmOS (Handspring Vizor, IBM Workpad, Palm m500 maybe?)
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I honestly do not - the Palm was never designed to be attached to a network, as doing so would zap the batteries and add a lot of bloat to the OS for a feature few would use.

Well, I have used my Palm Professional with TFTP software to access a router from the 9 pin jack on the from of the Router. I used the docking cable with a null modem adapter and gender changer and I telnetted fine . I have also used the modem on it to test dialup connections.
    "What happened to coffee flavored coffee?"

Get a HandEra. It accepts all Palm 3 expansion things. And it has a CF slot.

A little bigger than an m50x, but it's a great PDA if accessibility, not size, is the concern. And definitely smaller than a PPC!
    Wind Rivers Resort...relax, have a drink, get help with your computer.

Also just downloaded PalmOrgainzer from BNK soft (www.bnksoft.com) - it allows the creation of lists in xml that can be updated on the pc then shared on the ce device - also the ce devices can be purchesed dirt cheap for a basic one (older model)

I just fininshed loading and messing with the demo of ListPro (www.iliumsoft.com). With is I can create list based databases on my pc or CE device, palm, epoc, pocket pc or handheld pc, enter data, save the lists and synch with multiple hosts to share the data, ie...user info sorted by username, network data, game cheats, recipies, etc... I think it may just do what you are looking for, check it out. Also if you design on list that they use on the list exchange you get one version of the software for free.

Originally posted by cyberhh:
    <STRONG>I just fininshed loading and messing with the demo of ListPro (www.iliumsoft.com)...</STRONG>
    Thanks cyberhh, I'll be sure to check out this link!