[RESOLVED] HP Omnibook4150 w/ Win2K

Thread: [RESOLVED] HP Omnibook4150 w/ Win2K

FrankME

Angry HP Omnibook4150 w/ Win2K

I have a HP Omnibook4150 w/ Win2kPro installed. The laptop came with a Toshiba DVD-ROM (model# SD-C2302) and whenever I have that DVD in, the laptop will not perform a complete power-cycle (either shutdown or restart). Windows closes, but the machine stops responding shortly after and I have to manually power-down the machine when it should be done automatically. HP says they don't know why this happens. I flashed the BIOS with the newest version, and installed newest DVD drivers. The funny thing is that when I have the floppy in, or nothing at all in the laptop's bay, the machine functions perfectly. Why would the DVD cause such problems? Also, when I had Win98se installed I never had this problem. Thanks.

bbtech6650

Exclamation

Reinstall win98SE, my advise. Why fret about it? As for the DVD i hav no idea.

sebass54

Do you have SP1 on it? Is this happening when Windows detects the disc or when the DVD software starts?

I would try PowerDVD or WinDVD if it's when the software loads. If it's when Win2K detects the DVD I would put on SP1.

As big as pain as it would be I would (if you want to bother and have time) reinstall Win2K.

If that and SP1 don't help I would use 98SE on the machine.

I used to have this same laptop exactly and never got anything like this...I loved that 14 inch screen...damn, shouldn't have sold it!

------------------
    "then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way..."

FrankME

Guys - Thanks for replying, I do appreciate it. I finally got the damn thing to work by throwing in a win98 disk and using fdisk to blow the HD out, the reinstalling 2000 Pro. I was told by a buddy that the Win2KPro install disk, when reformatting the HD to NTFS, doesn't blow-out the MBR. So, by using the older version of fdisk and then throwing-in the Win2KPro install CD, seems to have solved that problem. Thus, I really have no idea why it worked, but it did!