AMD 550 problem boot with win 95 OSR 2

Thread: AMD 550 problem boot with win 95 OSR 2

Angry AMD 550 problem boot with win 95 OSR 2

I have a AMD 550 MHz chip installed in a PC Chips mainboard with.....

Ram 128meg PC 100
    Video 8 Meg onboard AGP 3d
    Sound A3d onboard
    Modem PCtel 56k onboard
    Lan generic onboard

Harddrives are both mode 4 PIO
    Cdrom Creative Infra 16x

My problem is even after installing the Win 95 AMD Chip fix to use processors greater than 350 Mhz my system still hangs in windows then on reboot it goes into safemode for a moment and the reboots.

When I under clock the chip to 350 Mhz it runs stable at 100 mhz clock.

Any ideas the owner does not have win 98 yet and isn't to happy with an upgrade.

Thumbs up

hi,one thing you can try is to flash the bios,next i would check the cpu fan as these k6/2 tend to run very hot,put some heat stuff on the cpu between it and heatsink,aside from that i would check to make sure the ram is good,that about all i can think of,hope this is of help,
    clauded

From what you're describing, it sounds like a Book PC? One of those dinky little systems that're about the size of a laptop? If so, besides checking heat problems like mentioned above, check the power supply, which in those things is /really/ crappy.
    Perseverance in all matters.

Originally posted by TazzMania:
    I have a AMD 550 MHz chip installed in a PC Chips mainboard with.....

Ram 128meg PC 100
    Video 8 Meg onboard AGP 3d
    Sound A3d onboard
    Modem PCtel 56k onboard
    Lan generic onboard

Harddrives are both mode 4 PIO
    Cdrom Creative Infra 16x

My problem is even after installing the Win 95 AMD Chip fix to use processors greater than 350 Mhz my system still hangs in windows then on reboot it goes into safemode for a moment and the reboots.

When I under clock the chip to 350 Mhz it runs stable at 100 mhz clock.

Any ideas the owner does not have win 98 yet and isn't to happy with an upgrade.
    Sounds like an M598 or M599 motherboard, check PCChips, PCWave, PCWare, or EuroneLA websites for updated chipset drivers and patches, as far as I know there was no way to get these boards working in Win95 with 100mhz bus, but it has been over a year since I used them last so there may be a new patch.
    ---
    Back with a vengeance.
    ---
    Try Windows Vista, the CE.ME.NT eXPerience...

i ran into the same thing last year, only it was a k6-2 500 on a asus p5a-b motherboard running win95. i could not get the thing to run at 500 mhz, i had to clock it down to 350 mhz. the customer ran it like that for three months until he upgraded to win98 and everything was fine. do you have another k6-2 chip over 350 mhz you can try in the board?
    take care and tempt not the fates

Smile

Thanks for all the ideas I found a few things out that helped the system ..... there was a second release of the patch for OSR2.1 (which I was unaware I was using ....gotta love Microsoft) It got rid of the error in NTKERN.VXD that was causing some of my hangups

Second the power supply on the system was faulty and caused it to shut down with any hard vibration in the case ....

After these items were fixed I was able to get the system to 550 Mhz but the system gets rather hot ....around 160 deg F ....and then Win 95 gets wierd ......put new fans in and dropped the temp down to under 75 F at Idle and 120 F at Peek .... Only other thing is does anyone know of a good freeware temp monitor for Win 95 haven't been able to locate one yet any ideas would be great......

Again thanks for all your help .....

TazzMania