[RESOLVED] laptop memory upgrade

Thread: [RESOLVED] laptop memory upgrade

ibennetch

Post laptop memory upgrade

just got my 128 upgrade SODIMM, but it don't work. As in, when I put it in and start windows, it restarts. safe mode halts with a himem.sys error in the extended memory. Linux also refuses to boot. Is this a bad chip? the tech support guy said to reinstall windows overtop of the old install to get it to recognise the new memory. Anyone ever have to do this? i've never heard of it.
    specs:
    toshiba satellite 2595cdt
    win98
    128 meg SODIMM from crucial (a division of Micron)
    thanks!

If the unit works fine without it, then yes it is a bad sodimm. I always use kingston memory for toshiba, never had a problem with it before.

www.kingston.com

------------------
    If it aint broke......use a bigger hammer

Sebring

Likewise, I've used Kingston in my own personal Toshiba laptop and it works fine as well. You shouldn't have to do anything other than install the memory. You do want to make sure it's seated properly but that's it. Reinstalling Windows won't solve any memory problems but rather it will create other problems with your software. Windows doesn't need to recognize memory, the system itself does. Where was this phone tech from?

------------------
    Don't insult the momma alligator until AFTER you've crossed the river

captpackrat

1. Can the unit accept 128M modules? (Some older systems cannot)

2. Do you need to increase the size of the laptop's hibernation partition? (My Sony could accept up to 256M, but was limited to 192M by the hibernation partition.)

3. Test the memory, if you have a RAM testing program like Troubleshooter or AMIDiags.

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

Try here.

Upgrade information for the Satellite 2595CDT

Module
    Size Memory
    Type Error
    Checking Part No. Price
    (ea.) Web
    Price You
    Save Stock Qty. Order
    16MB SDRAM, 66MHz CL=2 Non-parity CT166883 $46.99 $42.29 $4.70 Yes
    32MB SDRAM, 66MHz CL=2 Non-parity CT166882 $35.99 $32.39 $3.60 Yes
    64MB SDRAM, 66MHz CL=2 Non-parity CT166884 $37.99 $34.19 $3.80 Yes
    128MB SDRAM, 66MHz CL=2 Non-parity CT166881 $72.99 $65.69 $7.30 Yes

Manufacturer Toshiba
    Model Satellite 2595CDT
    Maximum Memory 192MB
    Standard Memory 64MB non-removable

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...595CDT&x=9&y=9

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

ibennetch

I got a replacement in the mail yesterday, same problem. Any ideas? I assume that this means either my laptop board is bad or they keep sending me the wrong one. any other options? I'm gonna call toshiba tech support tomorrow and see what they say...

Rudders

Try setting the BIOS settings to default settings, then power up and see what takes!
    It may need to start with a "virgin" status, to recognose any changes in memory. Presarios do that occasionally too.

Rudders

------------------
    Look at my website to get info on new AMD K6+ chips. www.mgrudkin.clara.net
    Look for the latest weather at www.metoffice.gov.uk

Valkerie

could be that crucial (micron) fouled up get their tech support, i used them with my compaq presario with no problems

but my machine is limited to 96 MB <TRAGIC> however the battery life is up by arround 50% which is great (less harddrive use)

Toshiba may use the old line of you should have bought from them <DOUBLE The Price!!!> but that is normal with most major manufacturers

Valkerie

Oops nearly forgot to mention i have had luck with weird older machines by resetting the bios (not nice but necessary) DO NOT try this unless you are a hardened fiddler or you have a Techie to hand !!! Good Luck Matey !