dead laptop?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dead laptop?

Post dead laptop?

I have a Compaq 1275 which I keep in the kitchen now. Before, when I turned it on, the hard drive kept turning on and off 20 times, and it said it wasn't readable. Now it works, but the hard drive still makes these weird clicking sounds, and I am afraid the problem could occur again (e.g. due to a loose connection). Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be and how to fix it?

Lightbulb

Seems to me, your hd is on its last miles. If still under warranty, get it replaced!

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

If not then get a new one before your data goes and copy it over
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

I am just using this computer as a "network audio player" in the kitchen and I don't really have any important data on it.

How much would it be to take out this hard drive and replace it with a, say, 4.0 GB hard drive? Because if it is going to run me $500, it is not worth it.

Too bad formatting won't exactly cut it this time...hehheh..I just formatted this thing a month ago and already it is dying.

Arrow

Go to www.pricewatch.com and click on "Notebook Drives" - this will give you a ballpark idea on how much it will cost for a new laptop hard drive. Retail prices probably more.

Originally posted by MacGyver:
    Go to www.pricewatch.com and click on "Notebook Drives" - this will give you a ballpark idea on how much it will cost for a new laptop hard drive. Retail prices probably more.
    The hard drive itself is not my concern...what I am wondering about is how do I open up the case? If I had to get someone to do it for me, how much would it cost? What size should I get?

If anyone has a Compaq computer could they tell me how to get in there?

Were you able to get any information here: http://web14.compaq.com/mypresario/support/ ???

Well, my computer is out of warranty, so that doesn't help, but I will give it a shot anyway. Friggin' compaq.

mxpsux

The hard drive should be under the palm rest. Just flip the laptop over, take out all the screws near the front (sometimes there is one in the battery compartment, so check in there), then flip it back over and you should be able to pop off the palm rest (lift it from the front corners). The hard drive should be evident once you have the palm rest off.

You should have no problem finding a 4+ gb drive on ebay for the laptop for well under $100 us.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Eeew. Compaq. Last Compaq laptop I replaced the drive on was a nightmare. Had to completely disassemble it, down to removing the motherboard, just to swap out the drive. If I'd been charging for that service, I prolly woulda charged at least $300 for it. Hopefully they don't still make them that badly.

ibennetch

THis doesn't have to be done in a clean room? the warnings the companies issue sound quite dire. Just wondering since I'll probably have to replace my drive before too long.

it does not have to be done in a "clean room", just a tidy one.

you will be fine if ya open it up on the kitchen table and replace the drive. just make sure there is no liquid spilled on the table and that there is no power going to the notebook (this means remove the battey too).
    If ya get really confused, just take the drive and notebook down to your local pc shop and get them to do it. should only take about 5 min if they know what they are doing, so it shouldent cost ya an arm and a leg. hell, I would do it for $15 at the front counter right in front of you at my store.

Originally posted by Damned Angel:
    it does not have to be done in a "clean room", just a tidy one.

you will be fine if ya open it up on the kitchen table and replace the drive. just make sure there is no liquid spilled on the table and that there is no power going to the notebook (this means remove the battey too).
    If ya get really confused, just take the drive and notebook down to your local pc shop and get them to do it. should only take about 5 min if they know what they are doing, so it shouldent cost ya an arm and a leg. hell, I would do it for $15 at the front counter right in front of you at my store.
    I'll try it...after what someone said about Compaq laptops, I am nervous, but it does not look very hard on the Compaq website (I have a disassembly guide). If I'm really stumped I'll give it a shot.

Some guy said I may not be able to replace it with a larger 20 GB hard drive or something without changing the BIOS, because the one I have in now is 4GB.

Laptops are simple.....Be gentle, make sure you have the service manual, oh and a spare place to put all the screws.
    The HDD should just slide out or be hiden under the keyboard which means the keyboard lid unscrews vi 30% of the screws on the bottom or unclips.