[RESOLVED] NEC VERSA 2430CD keyboard "ff stuck key" error

Thread: [RESOLVED] NEC VERSA 2430CD keyboard "ff stuck key" error

justinsmith96

Question NEC VERSA 2430CD keyboard "ff stuck key" error

I am getting an "FF stuck key" error (sometimes it just says keyboard error) upon boot up; then I receive press F1 to resume boot or F2 to enter setup. However, the keyboard is completely unresponsive so I cannot get past this point. I plugged in an external keyboard, but the same error occurs.
    All the keys seem to be working ok and none are stuck down. I know the external keyboard works ok on other machines.
    Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to replace the keyboard unless I know that's the problem. [I also tried popping out the BIOS and putting it back in to reset it, but it didn't help.] Any help or direction to other resources is greatly appreciated!

[NEC Versa 2430cd pentium 133 laptop, 24 mb, cd]

dlagace

The error sounds phony Check your system for a Virus.

------------------

"What works for One person May not work for Another"
    God Is My Judge

dLagace=DANIMAL

remove the notebook keyboard and try it with the external keyboard and see what happens. It really sounds like the keyboard is fubar. Was there anything spilt on it?

------------------
    <a href="http://www.georgecarlin.com/" target="_blank"> "we're all amateurs, it's just that some of us are more professional about it than others"</a>
    ----George Carlin

justinsmith96

Exclamation

Tried removing the internal and plugging in the external, but no luck. It doesn't seem to have anything spilt on it.

(I am going to try the antivirus scan tonight, but I get the keyboard error before the drives even initialize, I don't think I'll be able to get through to run the program.)

justinsmith96

Exclamation

Tried running an antivirus program, but can't without the keyboard. The system doesn't even get to the point to reading the disk.

MacGyver

If you removed the internal keyboard and the error persists - then it is not the keyboard. There is something else that is broken.

If the laptop is still under warranty, I would suggest going that route.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

[This message has been edited by MacGyver (edited September 25, 2001).]

justinsmith96

Exclamation

Thanks, I'll pursue that. It's not under warranty and it's pretty old. Do you think it may be a motherboard problem or is it possible that the BIOS went bad?