[RESOLVED] I have my shortlist of PDAs - which one?

Thread: [RESOLVED] I have my shortlist of PDAs - which one?

Jono

Post I have my shortlist of PDAs - which one?

OK,

So I just about know all of the specs of the PDAs out there - and the two main OS available: Palm and CE.

I have made a shortlist - based on build quality, longish battery life and the fact that I want to add to and edit documents on the go. I also want to replace my paper based organiser.

* I was firstly looking at the Palm IIxe - Good value, part of the old school in build quality and runnning the efficient Palm OS with loads of freeware etc - Doesn't have voice notes though, oh and no USB!

* My next choice was the Handspring Visor Deluxe - Many have told me it is like Palm only better, with its expansion slot.

* Then there's (what I thought) to be the best comprimise of practicality in a CE device with a few extras, the Compaq Ipaq with Monochrome Screen - Has fastest processor in its class (206 Mhz Intel) and runs CE with voice notes - Not so good value and may be a bit flimsy though... runs CE Bloatware!

* Finally I thought about a HP Jornada 680 - Has keyboard for easier text entry in CE with voice notes - Expensive, and unlike all the other devices not good to refer to quickly... heavier and bulkier too!

As you know, it's all very well to read the glossy specs on these devices but the real picture comes from those who use them every day.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I live and die by my visor. It fully hotsyncs with outlook, and I change my batteries every 2 months or so. I won't use one of those huge bulky lapda things, but I have seen a little jornada that was OK, except it tried to be a computer and was a SLOW as heck, and not very intuitive.

just my 2¢
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

Handspring all the way - the springboard slot gives a little extra uumpphh to the already fantastic Palm platform. I have three CE devices (my mistake) and would trade them all for a good Palm solution.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

The main problem with Handspring is that there is no Flash ROM. So you'll be jealous of all the flashy people running the latest Palm OS.