this is a problem i haven't been able to find an answer for. i have been searching for DAYS. it's symptoms are kind of odd.

audio cds, they won't play in my cd rom drive. regular program cds work fine, but audio ones just spin and spin and spin and never play, or aren't detected. i have a mitsumi fx120t, running on windows 95. i downloaded a new updated sound driver from the manufacturer, installed it, that didn't help.

it's not a problem with any of my media players; i have a few, and they all aren't able to perform that function, and they work fine for all others. they just can't play audio cds, whether its winamp, windows media player, windows cd player, etc.

i have recently downloaded some drive diagnostic programs, and when i test an audio cd with them, THEN THEY WORK FINE. two downloaded diagnostic programs, my sound card diagnostic program, and the one included with my original cd rom driver, all get audio cds to play.

oh, and to clarify--

i've checked anything and everything related to volume, muting, etc. unclicked and clicked and reinstalled the cd player many a time.

my cdrom drive has an audio plugin directly to my sound card.

it's not my cdrom drive; it passes all diagnostic exams. i'd really doubt it was the sound card [it said the cd interface was disabled, i enabled it =no difference].

if i just select drive e: from 'my computer' or try to run from windows media player, it just gives me the error message 'e: not accessible a device attached to the system is not functioning'.

the windows cd player recognizes how long each track is, but just flips in random order to the beginning of each one, never stopping, forever spinning.

winamp finds the correct number of tracks an audio cd has, but just lists them all as 'file not found 0:00'.

anyone know anything about audio codecs ? maybe my windows cd audio mci device is busted ?

i'm in HELL!!!!!