HELP! IBM Laptop Hard Drive is locked with a PASSWORD

Thread: HELP! IBM Laptop Hard Drive is locked with a PASSWORD

Post HELP! IBM Laptop Hard Drive is locked with a PASSWORD

Ok, I've never really worked with IBM laptop's but this one was given to me!

Here are the specs:
    IBM Thinkpad 600E
    10 GB IBM Travelstar Hard Drive

Here's the problem:
    Right when the laptop turns on it goes through post. Then (when initalizing the HDD) a password prompt comes up. Now, I know it's not the CMOS password because I have taken out the hard drive and booted with no problems off of a CD.

What I've tried:
    1. (See above)
    2. Hook the laptop hard drive to a PC (w/ adapter thingy) and tried to erase partitions, sectors, and/or boot records. The PC BIOS picks up the hard drive with no probs, but fdisk doesn't even see a drive on the system.
    3. I also tried EZ Drive; error writting to sector <somthing>...
    4. I have even tried the "inithd" utility found in the utility section of Windrivers; just pops up with errors, over and over again.

I really don't want to trash the drive. It's a 10 GB. I'm wondering if anyone out there knows how do crack this. I may end up RMAing the drive. Thanks for any help guys!

ad3p4

You may have no other choice but to ask IBM for support on this.

There was a previous thread about an identical problem where it was determined that HD passwords on IBM laptops are un-crackable. Period.

HELP ! password locked drive

------------------
    "Expect the unexpected"
    ------------------

should be a simple crack according to<a href="http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/support/thinkpad/uguide/380/monrom14.html#HDRUHDP" target="_blank">microsoft</a> the code can not be reset but they do go on to say that it is non-case-sensitive and only has a-z and 0-9 and only up to 7 char's just set up a crack program to cycle through the posible passwords till you hit the correct one but it may take awhile the only other thing I might suggest is try a UNIX box and see if you can low level format it

Lightbulb

try these guys..
    <a href="http://www.linux-thinkpad.org/" target="_blank">http://www.linux-thinkpad.org/</A>
    the mail list is damned usefull.
    And being linux guys they've tried damned near every hack you could think of
    "If life gives you poop, Make poop juice" - Bug eye'd Earl (redmeat.com)
    Gentoo, a Linux Gamers best friend!

Quickest solution would be to contact IBM. Read the above link, it says so. Or just go buy a new HD for it. Consider that one toasted.

FYI - if you read one of the previous posts referencing the topic, it says that it was already determined the pwd is uncrackable.

[quote]
    Do Not Forget Your Hard Disk Password!
    Note the password and keep it in a safe place. If you forget your hard disk password, there is no way to reset your password or recover data from the hard disk.
    The only solution is for an IBM authorized reseller or IBM marketing representative to replace the hard disk drive with a new one, charging an additional fee.
    <hr></blockquote>

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies guys. Well, I talked with IBM tech support and told them "I think my hard drive is bad, it wont let me boot up. Just stops booting after post." Suprisingly the tech didn't ask if I had set a password on the hard drive. I have already recieved a 10 GB replacment drive from IBM and am happy to report that the thinkpad works great. They even sent me a recovery CD! LUV IT!