IBM Thinkpad Disassembly

Thread: IBM Thinkpad Disassembly

Post IBM Thinkpad Disassembly

We don't usually repair these type of things, but my boss said he'd replace the underside cover on a customers IBM Thinkpad.

The customer ordered the part from IBM and brought it in for a couple of hours the other day. The problem is we can't figure out how to take the old cover off. The model number is 2625FA9365XD.

For these types of jobs I usually send the unit away to the manufacturer or the authorised repair agent, but the boss said he'd do it himself!

So, does anyone have experience in disassebling IBM Thinkpads?? Or maybe an assembly diagram??

Originally posted by CyberTech:

(Clip)
    For these types of jobs I usually send the unit away to the manufacturer or the authorised repair agent, but the boss said he'd do it himself.
    You want to know how to take care of this ? If the boss said he would do it himself..... then let HIM do it ;-) 'tis the only way they learn....
    null
    Initiative + Technology = Initech

Sorry, Ive pulled these apart before, and it aint fun... no real advice, but the above answer would be my answer too. My boss used to dump all sorts of cr@p in my lap, little jobs he had promised to do for his mates on the side.

I *forced* him to do one of them a few months ago (video problems) and he hasnt asked me since.

Doing favours for the bosses mate wont get ya anywhere, stick it on his desk with a nice note on it.

/end rant
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

hate to be the bearer of bad news partner, but the bottom plate is part to which all the internals are mounted, and the only way to get to those mounting screws is to fully dis-assemble the little bugger.
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

Agree with both of the evil dudes,

Since your boss is so eager to volunteer to fix that thinkpad...let him do it....

He does not have the ethical right to force you to do work beyond the work usually done, especially with the complicated finicky parts involved. He volunteered for it...he should do it...
    Retro-Computing: Not for the faint-of-heart.

Yeah, it'll be a bear, but here's the link for the hardware maintenance manual for this dinosaur.

Start on Page 70 of the pdf document or the "FRU removals and replacements" section by the acrobat index, and it will give you a step by step process to disassemble the unit including pictures.

Better wash your behind, your boss better be ready to kiss it!
    Veni, vidi, quiesco sum.
    "We came, We saw, We lazed around"

This is one thing I can say I know very well. I used to do service work for IBM and nothing beats going to a call at 5:00 on a Friday night to fix 14 IBM Thinkpad 360 and 760 series machines in various stages of damage. Work slowy, never force anything and if you really need help, drop me an email and I can give you some more pointers. I have done at least 100 of them ans yes, I broke a few cables inside too.
    "What happened to coffee flavored coffee?"