Pavilion N5210

Thread: Pavilion N5210

Post Pavilion N5210

Walked into work yesterday and seems that someone put a cmos password in on a display model. Can't get into anything w/o entering it.

Called HP tech support and they told me I have to fax them letterhead with a long list of info (name, model, serial # etc) then they'll call me back to run some codes.

Anyone happen to know a way around this so I don't have to wait on HP?

Exclamation

Go here for HP's website concerning passwords. Basically, it says that there is not option for CMOS passwords on Pavilions.

Check this out for solutions to disable the prompt for a Windows password at startup.

Also, just for grins, go here for your Pavilion notebook. Lots of good info there such as BIOS updates, etc.

Anyway, Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

You could always bust it open and pull the battery, or the reset CMOS jumper. Hopefully HP might be able to help you sometime before you die though.
    Hard work often pays off in the long run, but Lazyness always pays off now.

melmo

I'll look at the one I've got on display

have u tried the rest button on the bottom???
    How do I set my laser printer to "stun"?
    I can't back up my hard drive, there's no reverse button.

I have taken one of those HP 5210 laptops apart, the BIOS battery is located on the bottom of the MOBO on the bottom. If you remove it your still going to get the CMOS password.. there are TWO stacks of batteries on the reverse side of the laptop that are SEALED on the board.. your best bet is to get the password from HP. Last time I tried to do it they didn't want a tech doing it becuase they didn't want me to remember HOW I did it... we didn't call back after that.
    "I bent my wookie" -Ralph wiggum

Thanks for all the input guys. Just wanted to give you an update as to the situation with this computer.

It still has the cmos password on it. I sent the information HP wanted and they typically didn't respond. So being the gungho type I track down HP's 800 # for retail client tech support but alas I need a 10 digit client ID..you would think that someone in the stores management would have that #...You guessed it..no joy. I figure ok...the District Manager for the services dept. surely would know this so I fire off an email to him. He responds back immediately...Has no clue what it is or even if we have one but suggests I email someone else (he provided email addresses).

So here I sit hoping that someone will respond back to my email so that I can get in touch with HP to get this thing fixed.

Oh the joys of retail store tech benchs....That college help desk position is looking more and more attractive.