Clearing Cmos password

Thread: Clearing Cmos password

Post Clearing Cmos password

We had a customer bring in a Sony Notebook Computer Model # PCG-N505VX. It has a cmos password when the computer first boot on and like most passwords it was forgotten. Now the customer wants us to clear it. We are in the process of trying sony e-mail support but so far it has be unhelpful. Any Ideas would be very helpful. Thanks..

I got this from the WinDrivers Tech Tips section. It works on Win9x - not sure aout others.

From the command prompt in DOS mode (reboot to DOS if you must), type the following:

DEBUG and hit [ENTER]
    You'll see a dash at the DEBUG prompt.

o 70 2e and hit [ENTER]
    which will show as -o 70 2e at the prompt.

o 71 ff and hit [ENTER]
    and finally

Q [ENTER]

The BIOS password should now be reset.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I guest I forgot to clarify that The password comes up before the computer can boot to windows or a command prompt.

I don't have a link to them, but there are a lot of sites out there with "generic" BIOS passwords, sorted by manufacturer and BIOS types. We had several sheets of them posted when I worked at COmputer Renaissance, and a couple of times we broke into a locked BIOS in a half a dozen tries or so... You could do a search on yours, it may have one of these backdoor passwords built in as a manufacturer maintenance thing.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

You have to call Sony Tech Support at 1-888-476-6972 to get the cmos clear code to type in at the password prompt. They also ask for a proof of purchase to be sent before giving you the code. Happened to one of my customer's last year, and I had to call Sony.

Does the Cmos battery come out at all? if so, just remove it, presto, reset bios.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Funny story. When I first removed the screws from the back of the labtop I could not get the back off. It looked like the back was attached to the LCD. And when I had the screws all out and the lid open I turned the labtop over and the keyboard popped out. It never crossed my mind to check to see when I had the screws out to open the labtop up and see if I could remove the top.

Removed the CMOS battery for a few minutes reinstalled it and put the labtop together. and no more BIOS password. Thanks for the replys.