[RESOLVED] Is Microsoft trying to spy on us?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Is Microsoft trying to spy on us?

Sash

Resolved [RESOLVED] Is Microsoft trying to spy on us?

"Hay guys I was just browsing through to see whats running in the background on my system because my system resources keep going right down. Well there is a whole load of hidden things running on my system including this weird one MS_WebcheckMonitor sounds strange doesn't it? is Microsoft trying to spy on our systems?"

dlagace

They may be check you out or someone in your home is check you out but know one is check me out.

------------------
    "What works for One person May not work for Another"
    God Is My Judge dLagace=DANIMAL

Votan

I have no trace of this MS_WebcheckMonitor on my system. The prefix MS is not necessarily a reference to Microsoft company. It could be a spyware, if it is, planted by one advertisement agency on a page you visited.

It is worth reporting to Lavasoft, the developer to Ad-Aware.

DocPC

Try disabling the auto-update in control panel. This should take care of it.

Sash

Question

Yea I have Ad-aware 5.6 and it doesn’t detect any thing. I am going to disable Automatic updates though. I have loads of hidden windows even ctrl shift delete does not bring them all up. MSWEB thing only appeared when I installed OFFICE XP.

MacGyver

MSWebcheck sounds like the task scheduler portion that automatically detects critical updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com and/or officeupdate.microsoft.com. I have this installed on my Win98 machine at home. You can remove it via the add/remove applet in control panel, or disable it in task scheduler.

The other thing it could be is a result of having the option "Automatically check for newer versions of Internet explorer" turned on.

I'm not familiar with Win2k but hopefully this info will be useful to you.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

[This message has been edited by MacGyver (edited October 01, 2001).]

Sash

Thumbs up

Hay cheers MacGyver that was what it was it was the auto update for internet explorer. I turned it off and the MS thing is gone yay! thanks a bunch.. I didn't like that weird thing but its not so bad now that I know what it is.

MacGyver

You're welcome, Sash. Glad to be of help.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

Hey, i wouln't be at all suprised if there were plenty of hidden stuff in windows. You never can be sure. It seems that MS (and AOL) both want to take over the whole world. Well, I guess this is a statement we've all heard before . . .. nothing new.