Games Close to Desktop - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Games Close to Desktop

I don't really see how cleaning the memory contacts solved the problem... bad contacts will make the whole OS crash and be unstable.. not just the games. I have a different configuration.. with an NVidia TNT card and same problem.. (actually only one game so far (MechWarrior 3)) that quits to the desktop if I enable hardware display instead of software rendering. The game just closes to the desktop.. but the OS is stable. (I'm still stumped about that problem). I am however guessing that the most probably cause for both of us is the video card getting too hot... althouth I'm not so sure why only the game quits.

I am not going to get my hopes up because I know It dosnt make that much sense, but It has seemed to help. Ive been running it for about 10 hours w/o any problems. I have played games about three of those hours. I am going to setup 3DMark2000 to run the demo in a loop when I get home and see what that does? I have thought about the heat problem too with the Video card but I have one 80mm fan blowing air on my cards and one drawing air away from them. Plus the fan on the card itself.
    Computers Don't Get Mad When You Buy Computer Magazines!

PUTTING a card below AGP can cause an irq conflict on a lot of systems, that is why I asked,What often happens is the video card shares that irq with the device below it,This may not show up as a conflict in the device manager,but when you look at the Irq assignment if video card shares the irq you will most likely have a problem

Thumbs up

Trinitro, I agree with diehrd. I was having the same problem with an older game that would try to start and then just take me back to the desktop. The problem is that my grphx card uses irq 11 and so does my usb controller. When I set netmeeting to run in the background when windows starts this created a conflict between my net camera and grphx card. This conflict only kept me from being able to change my display res and or color settings, but any game that must initialize in a different grphx setting than what you have set as default will not be able to start because the game can't change the settings. I hope this helps.

Try New Video Drivers, a new version of DirectX... or reinstalling the version you have... also look for new sound drivers.
    Habib

I think Microsoft should put "comapatablilty modes" in Windows ME. Like they did with Windows 2000 SP2 and Windows XP..
    Habib