Boot Process

Thread: Boot Process

Cool Boot Process

where can i find out about the boot process for ME? I mistakingly installed DDK and even after un-installing, deleting registry key. Somewhere is still calling "Device=C:\WINDOWS\DEBUGGER.EXE" where is this being called from, ive searched in the registry (is it encrypted?)the boot process is totally different from 98, Ive searched in all sys files for DosConfigInit(); which looks like a "C++" statement, can any1 help us out here please?

BigAl

Check your config.sys file.
    You can access it through winedit.
    Just delete the line or put a ";" in front of it, and that should do the trick!

Go to system restore and restore to a point before problem,,,,, System restore will restore registry to the day you select !!!!!!!!!!!!

I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT I TRIED SYSTEM RESTORE AND ME STILL WANTS TO FINE DEBUGGER.EXE ON STARTUP. I WILL HAVE A LOOK AT CONFIG.SYS BUT IM SURE IVE ALLREADY TRIED

I HAVE TWO CONFIG.SYS FILES , ONE ZERO BYTE FILE IN C: ROOT DIR, THE OTHER IN C:WINDOWS/COMMAND/EBD THAT HAS A LOT OF UNRELEVENT TEXT

Lightbulb

Try to use the msconfig.exe on button start and click on run. Edit the win.ini system.ini and the inicial procces, normally is the bootlog.txt. This could very helpful to fix the problem. Bye.

Originally posted by luigi39:
    <STRONG>where can i find out about the boot process for ME? I mistakingly installed DDK and even after un-installing, deleting registry key. Somewhere is still calling "Device=C:\WINDOWS\DEBUGGER.EXE" where is this being called from, ive searched in the registry (is it encrypted?)the boot process is totally different from 98, Ive searched in all sys files for DosConfigInit(); which looks like a "C++" statement, can any1 help us out here please?</STRONG>
    the device=... is in system.ini file in the block [386Enh]. Delete the offending line there.

config.sys has a length 0 in the root directory because it must be there but nothing in it or from it is needed for ME.

The other config.sys is needed for dos in real mode operations. Leave the two of them alone. You may delete the first one, at reboot ME will reinstall it, but don't delete the other one. Delete the .BAK files if you wish.