[RESOLVED] Whats so bad about WindowsMe?~? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Whats so bad about WindowsMe?~?

maybe the problems aren't with windowsME, but the fact that no one-including Microsoft-seems to either :

A) take it serious/buy it.

B) support it with drivers <i.e hardware manufacturers.>

hell even my MICROSOFT internet keyboard needed a patch to work with it.

But all in all I can honestly say I never had a problem with it.

And my Win95 and 98 gave me a Cr@pload of blue screens of death. WindowsME has shown me none in the last7 or 8 months or so.

Unstable? you decide.

<Maybe Whistler/WindowsXp will combine the best of windows 2000 and ME>

Darren Wilson

All the systems I sold with ME on and MS Internet keyboards didn't need any patches, just the latest IntelliType software to activate the shortcut keys.

mptyza

Originally posted by BurnFEST:
    The question really is -- 'Whats right about winme?'
    The answer is, when you compare it to Windows 2000, theres not much good about it...It BSODs all the time, program errors, sumtimes doesnt even load up properly - and thatr was from a fresh install.
    Yup, like the other two, i took it off and installed win2k and havent had a single problem since
    Why would you compare it to Win2k? Windows 2000 is based off of WinNT, and ME is based off of Win9x.

I still say that Win2k whoops up on WinME. WinME was just so buggy, it wasn't worth the hassle. Whenever I see a computer with ME, it just makes me cringe in horror!

bring back amiga dos!

only 1 question?

if windows 2000 is so great (just asking..LOL)

why is it's tech help section in these forums twice the size of the ME section?

just wondering

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

I have used Win ME since day one when it came out and I have had very few problems. I have always done clean installs though, it does not want to work with upgrades.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Darren Wilson

The reason why Win2K is so great is that not just anybody can open it up and start messing with settings that they do not understand. As it is based on the NT kernel, the networking side of things are more in depth and the general user would not understand how to use them. As Win2K is a totally different O/S to ME there is no comparison apart from the obvious GUI interface.

Winme doesn't have the same driver support right now that Win98, has. Winme really runs faster on all of the machines I have installed it on(thats after I disabled the system restore) I have a duron 700 with winme that can restart 4 times before my friends PIII 700 can. I think after manufactures start building better drivers for these new OS's we will stop having so many problems. yes microsoft has buggy code but many problems lie within driver issue's
    A+ Net+ MCP CCNA

mulengro

Thumbs down

I had nothing but problems with ME.....BSOD errors everytime I shutdown....I've got win 2k nowand it works like a dream......I think the main problem with me is that it's a bit touchy where hardware is concerned.....

Had some probs with slow response when I first installed. Update DirectX to 8.0 and things sped up for a while. It seemed to run better with Media Player 7 than 98SE did (no skips in music or resource probs).

Then I install IE 6 and all hell broke loose. Media Player 7 hosed first. I said no biggy and switched to Real jukebox 8. Then I started getting numerous BSOD and all of the sudden the thing wouldn't boot. It would get to the Win ME splash screen and restart every time. No boot disk. No system restore. Nothing worked. I just said screw it and fdisk/format and installed Win2k pro. No probs since although I will wait a while before reinstalling IE 6.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

I have been installing and using ME since a month before it released on new pcs in my store and upgraded 2 of my 3 at home. So far I like it alot and have had almost no negative feedback (only one guy who had dos-based games from like 95 that won't play now so he changed back to 98) most people running newer software I have not had any trouble. The only bad thing is ME has IE 5.5
    which I think has a lot of problems, but then again everyone upgrading to AOL 6.0 is having those troubles too (and I see a lot, lot of blown pcs from AOL 6.0)
    Every tech that comes in the store bad-mouths ME but when you ask if they have even ever used it they say NO, so they are going by what everyone else (like here) is saying. My ACTUAL experience with it so far is great (probably 200 installs at least, full and upgrades) I don't really like to upgrade so if the customer allows it I wipe it and do a clean install. I have found that like 98 when it first came out, it really pays to download all the newer hardware drivers, cuz that is what will screw you up using old drivers. Win2K isn't for the meek because of the poor hardware driver support, I have one customer only with it and everytime he gets a new component, even that say 2000 ready, he has trouble getting it going right. The average customer I see can barely put in a CD and click Install, never mind mess with drivers. I think it is more user-forgiving than 98, and I like the go-back a lot..set the restore point, they mess it up later, you say "do this, this and this, all better!" (unless its like a catastrophe anyway)
    "Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do"

Another tech here with no problems installing/running ME (except on a few upgrades)...I've installed hundreds, converted an engineering firm to all ME OS even though they still use a bunch of 5+ year old apps--again, no problems. I've even repaired some really troublesome networking problems on a couple of laptops running Win98se by upgrading to ME.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

What I've come to find with WinME is this...

Doing a clean install on a system with reliable hardware generally will run fine. Doing an upgrade on any previous 9x version, especially 95 gets really messy. Even a clean install with crap hardware turns into a nightmare. I would have to agree with Darren in saying that 2K is the best way to go, but if you do decide to use ME, make sure your hardware is up to spec and double check driver support before you take the plunge.
    My brain went into standby mode and I can't get it to wake up, is there a BIOS patch for this?

Like others, I did not like WINMe when I bought a new computer with Me preinstalled. I even considered buying a copy of Partition Magic so I could run 98 and keep Me(HP told me that if I removed the preinstall I would lose my support). I have sorted most of the problems, thanks to this and the HP support forum and some commonsense, and now find I cannot enjoy anything less than Me and am looking forward to XP - already downloaded and installed IE6 beta and DX8, which will form part of XP. I find IE6 enhances my enjoyment of the web and graphics in particular. If you decide to try it, please remember that it is beta and set a system restore point first. I have even added a USB Scanner and a USB CD writer for backup and am now teaching my husband to use Me. Although with a 667MHZ CPU and 15GB disk I have no problems with resources running low and sometimes listen to music and play a card game whilst downloading, I agree with the comments on RAM and will be adding another 64mb, possibly more to accommodate XP. I hope those of you who are still uncertain about Me learn to enjoy it too
    SMOKING KILLS! If you smoke, give it up now whilst you have the choice

Why pay for WinME when it's just Win98SE with a bunch of utilities you can download for free from the net. Oh...and it's a big memory hog.

I'm happy with my W2K and it makes my 192MB RAM seem like it's doing a lot for me than in my Win98 days.
    if(post.eof()){SigBox.setText("Have A Day.");}