[RESOLVED] How do I uninstall Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1

Thread: [RESOLVED] How do I uninstall Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1

weedmansteve

Red face How do I uninstall Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1

I tried installing the Service Pack 1 update for IE 5.5, but the installation failed when it was almost done. So it's not installed, but under Add/Remove programs it is listed, and when I try to add/"REMOVE" it, it gives me the Service Pack options for adding a component or repairing it, and not removing it. When I try to install IE 5.5 again, it always says, "A previous installation was never completed, please restart your computer and try again." So I need to know how I can just wipe out IE so I can start over. It sucks because my computer thinks I have IE 4.x and won't let me run Windows update because it says I need a better version of IE first.

MacGyver

First off IE5.5 is not able to be uninstalled because of the way it integrates with the OS shell, and it tells you this when you first install it.

Look in your Windows directory for a file called wininit.ini, delete it. Then you can reinstall IE5.5 overtop of itself.

Let us know if that works or if you need additional help.

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS

weedmansteve

I tried that, and when one deletes the wininit.ini file it lets you start the installation again, but it keeps saying it couldn't install some components and i should close all apps and try again. then when i try it again it says that a previous installation was never completed. that's where deleting the wininit.ini works, but it's just a cycle.

I had the same problem with 5.5, it turned out the problem was that I was running the installation file from a network drive via the UNC and trying to download from the internet at the same time.

Try running the install and unchecking every possible box, then click next - that may uninstall ie 5.5. However your best bet may be to reinstall Windows ME right on top of the current installation - do not delete the windows directory, just install right over the top, it will save your registry and should reinstall ie5.5.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

The only way I know how to do this is by using a wonderful tool found on http://www.98lite.net It is called IEradicator. download it and use it to get rid of IE. Then if you want to re-install IE it is available on many CDs. You don't have to Windows works perfectly well without IE I prefer opera myself for browsing the net.

weedmansteve

Smile

Cool, I'll have to give that a try. Yes, I also like using Opera. It's very fast and has a ton of cool options. The only thing is that it has some noticeable trouble with Javascript.

weedmansteve

Question

Well, I was able to successfully completely remove IE, but wouldn't you know, the same error comes up. I found out it can't install the following: Browser Customizations and Advanced Authoring. Any ideas on how I can get it to install those two things?

[This message has been edited by weedmansteve (edited February 28, 2001).]