[RESOLVED] startup disk

Thread: [RESOLVED] startup disk

ocdt

Resolved [RESOLVED] startup disk

On microsofts site it says I need a boot up disk to fix a customers computer.
    so I look at the commands it needs and one of the is ext.exe????
    I am guessing extracting tool.
    but here is the deal I don't have a disk or a millenium cd.
    so I need to make a boot up disk for me.
    can anyone help me out. maybe email me the files or something????

Thanx

you can try www.bootdisk.com that would be my first thought.. what exactly are you trying to fix anyway maybe the Windrivers clan can help you out....

CMT
    HUNGRY?.....UNEMPLOYED?.....EAT YOUR F#%$ING
    JAP CAR!!!!!!!

ocdt

the customer ran defrag then stopped it half way through.in win me. (dumba$$)
    so now on startup he gets exception 03h errors in every file.
    Microsoft says this is a normal problem and to chanmge a couple of file names and so on.
    but I need the disk to do it.
    microsoft ref # Q275003
    mostly because of mcaffee products.

Adeptzed

Yes - the ext.exe is an app that extracts, rather than having to type out that huge ol' extract line. If you have a Millennium startup bootdisk, you won't need a cd, unless the cab files on the hard drive are corrupted.
    The cab files are located in the folder C:\windows\options\install. Use the ext.exe file to extract from here.
    The only time they wouldn't be there if it was some kind of special OEM cd. Good luck!

Couldn't you go to another computer with WinME, and make a startup disk in the control panels?

I agree with Adeptzed, you sould'nt need cd,
    go to control panel/add remove programs, click tab that says start up disc, put a floppy in the a drive and you sould be done.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Exclamation

Well thats not true all the time though,
    I have run into times where
    going to the ADD/Remove utility in Control Panel has asked me for the CD, just in order to complete the process. I guess if you use it for the first time.
    Asopalav
    Cant wait for Pentium 18

Have you tried booting into "safe mode" to get into Windows to troubleshoot? And yes, you can do that even though there's no DOS. Just hit F8 just like in W98 a few seconds after the PC detects the HDD's, then choose your safe mode, then proceed to ME. Then when you're there make sure to delete all those crappy "*.tmp" files to clean it up, and then reboot. Oh!,.. and run MSCONFIG to disable any worthless startup apps so that it doesn't crash again upon rebooting.
    Hello World

Adeptzed

I have seen making a bootdisk asking for a ME cd, which is highly unusual, possible due to a missing/corrupted cab file. I've only seen 95, 98 and 98se ask for the cd when making a startup disk, which is the way it was created (unless you have the cab files manually copied to the hard drive). As far as I know, the ext.exe is not a file that can be copied from the cd or hard drive directly, so it must be extracted (funny an extraction tool must be extracted for use).
    The last post had the right idea about going into safe mode, if possible, and start taking stuff outta startup, to see if it's possible to continue installing ME, or at least extracting files using the MSCONFIG utility.
    Or if you have a friend that owns Millennium or the local CompUSA or shop should make you a ME startup disk free.

any win 9x startup disk will do here is alink to extract.exe it says win2k but i think it can be used with 9x
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000.../extract-o.asp
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001