Funny goings on

Thread: Funny goings on

Post Funny goings on

Ok i have a PIII 550 running ME with 128MB of PC133, S3 savage 4 32 MB video, Hercules XP sound card 50 GB HDD, All has been running fine until yesterday leave the computer alone for 4-5 hors come back and the desktop seems to have taken up poping acid!! all the icons are white click on explorer and a file download box appears all options you try to open are fritzed even the good old start button click it nothing happens run your mose up the screen the text apperars no backgroun and the shutdown restart is well strange
    i have a small network my comuter is the server with a DSL using the free version of proxy + all has been fine when i reeboot everything is normal. all power settings are set to never turn off. only once there was an error "low on memory close one ore more....." refreshing the desktop does zilch i have also reghosted from a previos kown good image
    i was thinking memory leek, virus, corrupt video driver, all of the above

this is not fatal yet i just reebot however i live on the 12 floor and was thinking about giving my pc some flying lessons
    all help appreciated
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

Its a "Feature" of the Win9x line of OSes. The only way I know of to fix it is to upgrade to Windows 2k.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

Question

Is the active desktop feature turned on?

I have seen some freaky things with that turned on...
    Would you like fries with that?

Question

Is the active desktop feature turned on?

I have seen some freaky things with that turned on...
    Would you like fries with that?

active desktop is off
    Its the file download box that appears when IE is opened when the screen is like this that realy freaks me out
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"

update your video drivers!
    that should sort it!
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

in have the latest video drivers its completely intermitant
    and why would vidoe drivers screw up internet explorer

Originally posted by Tsunami:
    in have the latest video drivers its completely intermitant
    and why would vidoe drivers screw up internet explorer
    I had a pc with similar probs, updated video drivers and it fixed it.

it is obviously some other problem, someone else may be able to suggest a solution for..
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

Ok I have downloaded a new copy of the driver deleted the video adapter and reinstalled the driver

maybe its a sign that my video card is about to go pop and that i should go and get a decent one

Go to Display Properties,... In the settings tab click the advanced button. Then go to the performance tab and lower the hardware acceleration for the graphics. I have mine set to none (Creative Labs GeForce Annihilator 2 card.) Also, Win9x or ME can serve a network, but 2000 or NT is much better suited to do that job.
    Hello World

It seems to have gone away. I did a few things firstly i re Ghosted my drive but this time I used format C: first (I am usually to lazy to do this!!) went to www.s3graphics.com to get another copy of their driver 8.20.31 which acording to them is the latest for my chipset the one i had was 8.20.33!!!! where i got that i dont know but it works now

Thanks crue i forgot about that setting but i wasnt having trouble till recently it has always been set to full as for the network yes Win2K and NT are better but when all you have to hand is ME you have to use that and it is only a three computer network never know my birthday is comming up somebody might by me Win2K!!!