What the hell is wrong with my computer

Thread: What the hell is wrong with my computer

Red face What the hell is wrong with my computer

Please Help Me

I dont know whether this is a ME problem or what, but here goes. Very often when I'm using the comp. there is an error message saying that the system is dangerously low on resources, it tells me to terminate 1 app. after the other, eventually nuthin works. I don't why it says this, even though I have 64megs of ram, and most of it is not used. Also, sometimes when I use IE or other apps. there is an error message: (program) caused an invalid page fault in module USER.EXE. What this means I know not. Plus, on top of that, sometimes it also says the program caused a fault in GDI.EXE.

Please help me, tell me whats wrong, is it Windows or a virus, what?

Thanx
    NightFlyer
    Open Source is the ****!!! I love LINUX!

Darren Wilson

Although ME does run on 64Mb of RAM it is recommended that a minimum of 128Mb is used to allieviate this type of error. Even with 256Mb of Ram you may get this after having a lot of apps open at one time

Also if you got loads of stuff in your system tray, there goes your measly 64MB. The System tray contains preloaded apps that start everytime Windows starts (those little icons next to your clock on the lower right corner). The only ones you want there are Sound, Video, and Anti-virus.
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!

I used to have that problem when I first built my computer. Turns out it was a memory leak in a program I had running at startup (oops!).

Uninstall any share/freeware programs you may have running at startup, or often. As mentioned above it could also be you don't have enough RAM, but your swap file should be able to pick up the slack. A buddy of mine used to run ME w/ 64MB of RAM.

Let us know how it goes...

Yes 64 K is not recommended to run ME. Anyway, the insufficient resources message is not necessarily an indicator of RAM of swap file. There are two chanks 64 k each in you chipset that store the information about the applications you are running. They saturate quickly with graphics applications, but they do so with other applications as well. Your first recourse is to follow the suggestions abouve this one, particularly the startup. Run msconfig and uncheck the application that you don't use all the time.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Originally posted by Votan:
    Yes 64 K is not recommended to run ME. Anyway, the insufficient resources message is not necessarily an indicator of RAM of swap file. There are two chanks 64 k each in you chipset that store the information about the applications you are running. They saturate quickly with graphics applications, but they do so with other applications as well. Your first recourse is to follow the suggestions abouve this one, particularly the startup. Run msconfig and uncheck the application that you don't use all the time.
    who uses 64 k of mem anymore?
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

How do you get programs to stop showing up in the msconfig? I know there are plenty of things that I don't want running but there they sit - annoying me.

Depends on where they are loading from. Sysedit will help you get to the Win.ini and System.ini to delete unwanted entries. You can also manually delete items from you startup menu. And finally, Regedit will get you to the items loading from the registry.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

no sysedit in ME (I miss it too)
    using msconfig now..
    "Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do"

Originally posted by JeanneD:
    no sysedit in ME (I miss it too)
    using msconfig now..
    Oops! Forgot where I was. Ok. The relevant files that Sysedit would open for you can just as easily be edited individually by notepad. They are: Config.sys, Autoexec.bat, System.ini, and Win.ini.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."