STUMPER - Can't get CD's to eject under WIN ME!

Thread: STUMPER - Can't get CD's to eject under WIN ME!

Unhappy STUMPER - Can't get CD's to eject under WIN ME!

Working on an IWILL KA266 Ali motherboard running 1.2 Tbird and 256meg PC1600 DDR. Under WIN ME environment, I can put a CD in, but it will not eject it back out. Reboot doesn't work either. Only way to get the CD out is shutdown and use the ol' paper clip.
    Have updated device driver and also motherboard IDE drivers to no avail. Have even swapped out drives to be sure and the new drive does the same thing. This writer is secondary master on the mboard. Could this be some sort of WIN ME glitch? The drive is a Samsung 8x4x32 CD-RW. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....thanx.
    "Good advice is only good if followed."
    ***poof***ShAzAm vanished!

Have you tried under any other OS? If you boot from a DOS boot disk, does it do the same thing? How about if you try it as a slave?
    Normally, I'd say the drive is faulty, but you say you have tried another drive with the same results. How about a different model drive?
    I'm just a little mushroom. always kept in the dark...

I had this problem and it was my USB CD Writer locking my main CD ROM drive. I solved it by disconnecting the CD RW. Mine has an icon on the taskbar you click to disconnect it before you switch it ofF. Hope this helps and please let me know if I can give you any morew info.

Angie
    SMOKING KILLS! If you smoke, give it up now whilst you have the choice

Have you tried using the CD-Drive's icon in My Computer's right-click menu to eject the disc? I know this is the ONLY way short of doing it before windows finishes loading to get the freaking thing to eject :P

Hope it helps.
    Nicholas "Raijen" Furniss
    http://www.raijen.com/img/smiley-saber.gif

If it's humanly possible to make something worse VIA a patch, Micro$oft WILL manage it

Remember - only the special people can get high on Air http://www.raijen.com/img/smiley-tongue.gif

Visit My Homepage at http://www.raijen.com

re-install ME and see if it was a bad install. You never know.

Originally posted by Nicholas 'Raijen' Furniss:
    Have you tried using the CD-Drive's icon in My Computer's right-click menu to eject the disc? I know this is the ONLY way short of doing it before windows finishes loading to get the freaking thing to eject :P

Hope it helps.
    I agree it stumped me for ages also if you right click on the drive in my computer you get an eject option well atleast i do and i use ME
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

LCARS_ENGINEER

Exclamation

STATE YOUR DESIGNATION. WE HAVE PREVIOUSLY ENCOUNTERED THIS SITUATION. OUR SOLUTION WAS TO EITHER RUN THE MSCONFIG UTILITY TO EDIT THE STARTUP FILES ASSOCIATED WITH THE CD-RW. NERO AND EASY CD-CREATOR IN PARTICULAR ARE KNOWN TO INSTALL .DLLs AND TSRs WHICH HINDER WINDOWS ABILITY FOR SOFTWARE EJECTION. EITHER TRY AND RE-ENABLE HE SOFTWARE AND WHEN YOU DO IT SHOULD GIVE YOU THE OPTION TO ALLOW SAFE-EJECTION OF A CD OR OTHERWISE. WE DISCOVERED THAT THE LOGIC BEHIND THIS IS FLAWED IN THAT THEIR CAUSE IS GOOD YET IT IS AN ANNOYING FEATURE OF PROTECTING BURNS. THE COLLECTIVE HAS SUMMONED US.

Darren Wilson

Originally posted by ShAzAm:
    Working on an IWILL KA266 Ali motherboard running 1.2 Tbird and 256meg PC1600 DDR. Under WIN ME environment, I can put a CD in, but it will not eject it back out. Reboot doesn't work either. Only way to get the CD out is shutdown and use the ol' paper clip.
    Have updated device driver and also motherboard IDE drivers to no avail. Have even swapped out drives to be sure and the new drive does the same thing. This writer is secondary master on the mboard. Could this be some sort of WIN ME glitch? The drive is a Samsung 8x4x32 CD-RW. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....thanx.
    Which chipset drivers are you using? If you are using the Ali ones, uninstall them and try MS's default drivers and see if this solves the problem or vice versa.

I know the right click on the cdrom's icon in My Computer and selecting Eject CD works for me.