Editing Autoexec and Config

Thread: Editing Autoexec and Config

Post Editing Autoexec and Config

Question..

I was having a device overflow error that seemed to be created from an older scanner I was installing on Win Me. Anyways I was gonna try to edit my config.sys I really dont know if this will solve the problem or not but the thing is, is that It wont let me edit either file. The read only Attributes are off and it will let me save changes but when I restart the system, they are replaced with the original files. Im imagining its something simple that Im missing so could someone please help?

Thanks

ME is stripped from DOS real mode. The config.sys file must be on the root directory empty. ME does not allow you to change it. It makes the life easy for you by replacing the altered file with a new one.

There are few details you could do by directly editing the registry. I don't know what is the specific problem you have to make a suggestion.

Banned

try msconfig .....that will allow u to amend settings .............i think , anyway worth a try ..........good luck

Originally posted by freddy the fisherman:
    <STRONG>try msconfig .....that will allow u to amend settings .............i think , anyway worth a try ..........good luck</STRONG>
    Not a chance, not on ME

Thanks for the response. So what everyone is saying is that you cant edit the stacks or buffers or anything like this?? or is this done somewhere else now? All im trying to do is to create the stacks to the max and add a few more to the buffers cause i was thinking that maybe its running out of memory during the start up to initialize anymore devices. I may be way off on this though. Anyone ever have a device error overflow before or know what its caused from? First time I've ever encountered it.

Have you tried to double click the config.sys in your root directory to make your changes? Use notepad or wordpad to open the file.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

K.. now I feel dumb. I kept thinking it was a device overflow... Its actually a devide overflow error which I still have no clue on how to troubleshoot it ( its actually caused by an old SCSI Scanner, UMAX T630. I think it may be from the card but not absolutly sure).

just to clarify:

windows ME no longer uses autoexec.bat or config.sys. it doesnt matter whether the files exist or not, or what is in them, as windows ME doesnt look at them.

it is possible to replace the msdos.sys file with a modified one, but im not sure where to get that modified version.

hope that clears it up.
    Question of the Day: If it Micro$oft didn't exist, how much easier would our lives be?

Yes it does. Thanks for ther info.

Originally posted by Mutant Grabble:
    <STRONG>just to clarify:

windows ME no longer uses autoexec.bat or config.sys.
    </STRONG>
    Autoexec.bat is still needed to set the environment at boot time.

As to a modified version of msdos.sys, I would be interested to know what scripts you could type in there. The first few lines can be edited with notepad.exe

Thats true but i still am curious as to know how to edit it.(I know its notepad or ascii txt editor)I use the msconfig utility as far as the TSR programs and a few other things but try editing the autoexec and see if it saves it AFTER you restart the system. It (on mine) gets rewritten back to the original. Funny thing is I dont need to edit it anymore BUT i'd still like to know for future ref.

Originally posted by ch1as:
    <STRONG>Thats true but i still am curious as to know how to edit it.</STRONG>
    Edit what?

autoexec.bat - open notpad, choose file, open, in file name field type autoexec.bat, here you go. Add what you want and save at exit.

msdos.sys do the same, but I doubt you would be abel to change anything there, other than the options if you know what you want.

I have a nic elittle program that will allow you edit what you want on ME. Gimme your e-mail and I'll send it to you.
    Would you like fries with that?