Sound device conflicting

Thread: Sound device conflicting

Question Sound device conflicting

The other day, my sound card suddenly decided to try and take over the memory address of my keyboard...and the results were devistating. Turning on the machine resulted in a BOD saying "Windows protection fault... System haulted" ouch! (No idea why it did this, nothing was loaded to cause this change...)

It wouldn't even load safe-mode! Well, I did need a re-format anyway...
    After reloading it was working fine until I loaded the sound drivers and then it locked and wouldn't go into safe-mode again...

Now, third times a charm! I need to install the drivers for the sound and not have them active until I can change the memory address on them, does anyone know of a way to do this?

The only thing I can think of is to change the address of the keyboard before I load the sound drivers and cross my fingers...
    ...I don't get it...

You could have a defective sound card or something. The part where you say it will not even go into safe mode bothers me because if it was a driver problem or even a memory address conflict it would still load into safe mode. I would try moving the card to a different slot and see what happens beause the slot could be giving you problems.
    You did not say what type of sound card you were running or what OS is was or what hardware was involved such as the type of motherboard so thats all I can suggest at the moment.

Might be the card, that would explain why it suddenly happened...the brand is a POS 32bit, so it's not much of a waste of my $20 I spent on it

I'll try a differant slot on it then install the drivers, see if that helps. If not remove it and see if it boots. It's on WinME (that's why I posted here not in the sound threads) Asus A7V MB. (I'm also thinking it could be a faulty memory module)

The part where safe-mode doesn't work is the weird part, after the format and install it was able to boot to safe-mode for a little bit. That's where I was able to identify the conflict, but after I thought I 'fixed' it, it wouln't goto safe-mode again...

I'll try another slot and a new card later...
    ...I don't get it...

Well, it was a bad card. installed the drivers, BSOD. Removed the card and it was fine. So I got a SB Live! and it's been working great. Thanks for the tip xsrvx!
    ...I don't get it...

Just curious, was that SC a Yamaha chipset? Had 3 different systems have issues with Yamaha SC and ME's drivers. Installed 98 drivers and they work great now....just a thought
    Dopey Is My Hero, the king of idiots, the mentors of morons.