[RESOLVED] computer suddenly can't recognize cd-rom

Thread: [RESOLVED] computer suddenly can't recognize cd-rom

stpeter

Unhappy computer suddenly can't recognize cd-rom

yesterday turned on computer and shows cdrom icon under my computer, but if I click on it I get the message e:\not accessible" and "a device attached to the system is not functioning"

I have unplugged and replugged in all cables, flat cable at both ends, all are tight and plugged in in the right direction.

Cd plays if I use the controls on the unit itself. The wave shaper can record what I am playing. but cannot open the cd thru the computer. If i click on the windows cdplayer.exe it at first said no cd attached to this computer and now just locks up and I have to use the close program box to get rid of it.

I reinstalled the driver, mscdex setup. I see the drivers install, but no dice getting the computer to 'see' it.

the computer is 166 pentium 96 megs ram, 4 & 30.7 gig hd's running win95 ver.B. Cdrom is an 8X unit from acer which have never had a problem with in the four years have had the computer. Seems to me at this point might be a windows problem?

I checked in device manager, it is there and says it is working properly. I don't know what to try next.

Most frustrating and worried should I need something off my win 95 cd. Any suggestions appreciated

shawnMt

Boot to Safe Mode and remove all CDROM drives from device manager - reboot normal and see if 95 will pick it up.

------------------
    --Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.

stpeter

Did that as you said. rebooted and it showed up in the boot up, but not as new hardware. Checked device mgr. and it did show up now as my acer unit with serial number. Before it was appearing as just 'cd-rom drive.'

went back to my computer and still not accessible. could my cable have a problem when it does work OK manually? (ribbon Cable)
    It looks fine, no nicks or burrs or crimps? Is there another cable I could rob to check it out? I have a spare ultraATA66 cable from a new hd that I did not use, could I use it or are they wired different, they look the same. Thanks for your assistance.
    Originally posted by shawnMt:
    Boot to Safe Mode and remove all CDROM drives from device manager - reboot normal and see if 95 will pick it up.

shawnMt

Ok, do you have another machine that you can try the drive in?

You can use the new cable as long as it's a normal IDE, not an 80 pin. I'm not sure how the drive would work with an 80 pin, (should work)but if the new cable looks like the old then it's ok.

When you stick a data cd (clean, few scratches, not a burned cd) does the drive spin up? Can you hear it "trying" to read?

You can also virtually rule out the cable issue by slaving the unit to your hard drive, though I don't recommend leaving it that way. You can also get a 98 boot disk or a 95 disk with your drivers on it and try to access it in DOS. I can send you a link to a 95 boot disk that works with Acer drives.

The easiest thing to do is try it in another machine or replace it.
    Hope this helps

------------------

stpeter

Thanks, I do have a second machine but did not want to possibly screw it up, I would appreciate the link to a win95 ver B boot disc with acer drivers. the western digital cable is a 40 pin 80 conductor and current is 40 pin 40 conductor. Afraid to use, the way my luck is running now it would probably fry the part that still works, HA! One must maintain a sense of humor.
    Thanks again for your assistance. If you need to email the link, my email is [email protected] thanks again, Marcia

Originally posted by shawnMt:
    Ok, do you have another machine that you can try the drive in?

You can use the new cable as long as it's a normal IDE, not an 80 pin. I'm not sure how the drive would work with an 80 pin, (should work)but if the new cable looks like the old then it's ok.

When you stick a data cd (clean, few scratches, not a burned cd) does the drive spin up? Can you hear it "trying" to read?

You can also virtually rule out the cable issue by slaving the unit to your hard drive, though I don't recommend leaving it that way. You can also get a 98 boot disk or a 95 disk with your drivers on it and try to access it in DOS. I can send you a link to a 95 boot disk that works with Acer drives.

The easiest thing to do is try it in another machine or replace it.
    Hope this helps

Lightbulb

Try this, go to www.bootdisk.com and down load the boot disk with cd-rom drivers. Unzip to a 1.44 floppy and boot from the disk with cd-rom drivers. Can you access you cd-rom from the boot disk? Repost with results.

shawnMt

BAD.IRON - my thoughts exactly...

------------------

computerguy5001777

its possible that you may have a virus