[RESOLVED] What's the best Anti-Virus software?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] What's the best Anti-Virus software?

Sweet PC

Post What's the best Anti-Virus software?

I have Norton 2001......

------------------
    "Even if we don't like Windows.....and Bill Gates, we all have Windows on our computer!"

QSECOFR

I use InocualteIT PE. It's free. I'm not 100% sure if it's the best, but for free, you can't complain. It offers realtime protection, and you can set it up to check for updates on the web automatically (works good on like a cable or LAN. I haven't tried it on a dial up)

We run a version on our Exchange server(you have to purchase a license for this version) at the office, and it does good dectecting the viruses, then making them non executable by renaming the file to *.avb It even notifies the admin by email with a report of viruses when you run a full Exchange scan. I probably gave you more info about the software than you wanted, but it could help someone.

http://antivirus.cai.com

------------------
    OS/400...At least it's not Microsoft.

Darren Wilson

Norton gets my vote as well

------------------
    'I won't deny ya, I'm a straight Ridah, You don't wanna f#@k with me'
    Tupac Shakur
    '*****ionz as a Ridah'
    All Eyez On Me
    CD 1 Track 1.

I Prefer Mcafee!
    it offers muc more for Servers

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Jvaguy

Norton 2001 .. and updated about every 10 days

------------------
    I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together

*BSOD*

Personal Machine = I use InocualteIT PE also for my personal machine.No probs with this software

Workstation =I have had System Hang Problems with Inoculan 4.0 / InoculateIT 4.5x Clients for Windows 95&98.
    Changed to PE

Server = Scanmail

MacGyver

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by *BSOD*:
    [B]I have had System Hang Problems with Inoculan 4.0 / InoculateIT 4.5x Clients for Windows 95&98. Changed to PE.
    </font>
    Kinda sad isn't it, when the free software works better than the expensive licensed stuff.

------------------
    All this technology, and I still can't download a pizza!

Norton Corporate Edition. It's what we use inhouse, it's the only thing we sell to our customers (unless they specify otherwise, but they haven't so far).

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

tk421

I started using the McAfee online virus scan. It's cool, because I can quickly and easily scan customers' computers onsite. And the definitions are online, so (I assume) they're always very up to date.

tk

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tk421:
    I started using the McAfee online virus scan. It's cool, because I can quickly and easily scan customers' computers onsite. And the definitions are online, so (I assume) they're always very up to date.

tk

</font>
    Though I agree that for Scanning this may be a Pretty good sollution, I think that computers also need some sort of virus Shield (TSR).

Also having a Dos based Antivirus in your Baggy can be Extremely helpfull!

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

xPoseidonx

Business -Norton Corporate Edition 7.5
    personal - TrendMicro's PC-Cillin

- my 2 cents

------------------
    . . .No matter how hard it rains, you can still break glass with a hammer. .

i like AVP
    #3 1951-2001

Froghead

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tk421:
    [B]I started using the McAfee online virus scan. It's cool, because I can quickly and easily scan customers' computers onsite. And the definitions are online, so (I assume) they're always very up to date.

tk

That works great provided you can get online or get to McAfee. The most popular virus at my store last fall was W95.MTX and it blocked access to AV sites. It and others can hide from AV software in WIndows as well. In the past six months I've dealt with over 100 infected machines at my store and have found the only sure method is with Norton 2000/2001 (with updates installed) scanning in DOS from a clean boot. If viruses are found then you must follow removal instructions found at your favourite AV site. Note - Sometimes they're not always right either.

------------------
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

Vip_Keldon

For my office we use Norton Antivirus Corporate 7.5 and so far so good i'm running 50 workstations and its has kept them all clean. Other good thing is it scans the email attachment b4 it lets you open it. Other programs do this as well but for my corporate WAN norton has my thumbs up

SeniorTech

Thumbs up

For all of you that love Norton and McAfee I did a study of them plus Innoculan and Innoculan PE ver. AVP. I infected a system with 38 will known and dangerous virus and had each software scan the system to see which ones it did and did not find. AVP found all 38. Innoculan found 26. McAfee(newest version with updates) found 28. Norton 2001 with updates found 22. And InnoculanPE did better than Nortons.. So you tell me which one you would recommend/use. AVP has found every virus than has been infected on a system. It scans emails/archives BEFORE you one them and monitors files as they enter exit your system. Even if the file has been access by another system on the network it gets scanned. There is only one virus that I have found that it will not pick when entering your system and that is Bymer. If you want a copy of the report email me and I'll send it to you.