[RESOLVED] What do you think? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] What do you think?

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Rkring1:
    With the price being $0.00 ( InoculateIT PE from C.A.I. and AVP from Kaspersky)and new virus showing up constantly , how can you afford to not protect your computer ??
    Agreed!
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

It dosen't matter how safe you keep your self against viruses, you'll still get one. Heck, I discovered I got one from school piggybacking in a Word document I edited there! It was something like clowns or something stupid like that, but it happens. The only way to be virus safe is to totaly lockdown your system (no internet, no external files...)
    ...I don't get it...

I have avoided getting about 5 different viri from users at work (mostly macroviri). NAV caught 2 from my mom (kakworm and something else). Got one from a script kiddie on MIRC (lifestages). One from tucows.com (?).

Got 2 stealth virus versions in University that killed 12 page reports.

If you don't use an antivirus scanner you are a moron. I thought about softening that last statement, but it's true.

Originally posted by mahdi:
    It dosen't matter how safe you keep your self against viruses, you'll still get one. Heck, I discovered I got one from school piggybacking in a Word document I edited there! It was something like clowns or something stupid like that, but it happens. The only way to be virus safe is to totaly lockdown your system (no internet, no external files...)
    Running a real-time virus scanner and regular backups. This is the only defence against viruses. Every virus scanner is not guaranteed to catch every virus, so don't anybody get a false sense of security just because your running an AV program.

I dont run active protection and have not had a real problem with any virus since the monkey-b That one cost me a week 3 what i thought were bad hd controllers and a couple of good hard drives!

BUT once a month I run a virus scan and back everything up on cd-r's.

Most "virus's" today are just punks who have just learned how to write script.

Worst case senario, I fdisk/format and reinstall. Back up and running in 30 mins.
    "I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Voltaire.

Okay, so you are careful opening email and never open an attachment. Good for you. I also assume you never browse the web either? In the last week I have found 98 web sites with Trojan.Seeker.b in them, and 4 of them were corporate websites, not personal pages. I also assume you NEVER put a floppy disk in your drive, not on a network, and never use commercial software (yes Virginia, viruses CAN be distributed by commercial software...do you remember where the first Word.Macro virus was distributed from??? Yup, Microsoft's Windows 95 Resource CD, V. 1.0) Do what you want, but I won't drive without a seatbelt, clean the bathroom without gloves, or start my 'puter without AVP. Period.
    Dopey Is My Hero, the king of idiots, the mentors of morons.

I use Norton AV and I have never had a condom break.
    "We have assumed control"

Thumbs up

I have only had 1 virus in almost 12 years and I have NEVER installed a anti virus program. The one virus I did get I got thru e-mail, so I just never open e-mail from someone I do not know that has attachments. I guess if you get a lot of programs sent to you in e-mail or if you pirate alot of software its a good idea. But for the avg joe out there its almost a waist of money.

Have never got one at home using norton. Cleaned up a few at work though. Never can tell where they will come from.
    Must not strangle users. Repeat. Must not strangle users.

Originally posted by GirlGeek:
    I wouldn't be caught dead without an AV program and I'm to the point that I'm having clients sign waivers that refuse the idea of AV's and firewalls. For instance I've got a new client that is getting a cable modem (business client, highly sensitive client data on all his systems) and he refuses a firewall and AV, why? Becouse he's never had a problem before. Doubtless I'll be the one to clean up the mess but at least I'll have his signed waiver in my files to cover my heiny.
    Just set up customer with new cable service and recomended norton av and zonealarm but she did think it was needed and didn't want to spend the money. Someone swiped her entire customer database(over 200)and a rival company phoned every single one of her customers. Result she lost 10% of her customers. From my point of view it borders on irresponsible to not at least have an antivirus installed. When I ran a small shop about 10% of our services were virus infected.

Smile

We build systems with Norton Antivirus 2000 which comes eith the motherboard, but we aslo download the latest virus pattern before we ship the PC to the customer.Have seen some wired viruses which make the mouse huge and resort the file names on the HDD.
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

Originally posted by dopey, the stupid:
    Okay, so you are careful opening email and never open an attachment. Good for you. I also assume you never browse the web either? In the last week I have found 98 web sites with Trojan.Seeker.b in them, and 4 of them were corporate websites, not personal pages. I also assume you NEVER put a floppy disk in your drive, not on a network, and never use commercial software (yes Virginia, viruses CAN be distributed by commercial software...do you remember where the first Word.Macro virus was distributed from??? Yup, Microsoft's Windows 95 Resource CD, V. 1.0) Do what you want, but I won't drive without a seatbelt, clean the bathroom without gloves, or start my 'puter without AVP. Period.
    My machine is on the net 24/7 Nope never got one from the web never got one from a new cd. I am just really lucky or maybe just careful. Anyhow I still think the same people write both anti virus and virus's or the work real close with each other. After all its real good money maker! *L*I do run a real good fire wall tho. After all there are alot more snoopy people then there are virus to get.

I went 4 years without an AV then put one on to be safe I think I was just lucky. since putting on an AV I have stop about 4 viruses. Good timing I'd say.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

skipt, your advice is foolish in the extreme. Free isn't worth the money?

I make HUNDREDS of dollars a month off of people like you who don't bother to get an antivirus program, or don't bother to update it. Quite a few of them would do just about ANYTHING to get their system back the same day with no data lost (good thing for them I have some ethics, or I'd be a lot richer and more... experienced... than I am now).
    Hey, if you disagree with me, then go on--stay your course. Never install AV software. $ome tech will thank you for it $omeday.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

Originally posted by pumpkinhead77:
    I am begining to wonder if getting a virus protection program is a good idea for a home user. I mean, I have been using computers for 6 years and I have yet to get a virus on MY pc. It is my belief that if you are careful then you will not get a virus. What do you all think?

I agree. I have never used an AV prog at home and I don't hink I ever will. It's just mu opinion, but computers are not that important. I mean, waht do i used it for? Nothing. I never use my home pc. My 2 year old kid uses it more than i do. he was on playhouse disney for 2 hours last night. that's more than I have used the thing in the past month. besdies, between him and my wife using the thing, i usually reload it several times a year anyways. I keep no important info on it, so why bother spending the money? Again, this is my opinion, but I feel that AV progs are a waist of my money.

ta daa.

It's good to be the King.