[RESOLVED] What do you think?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] What do you think?

pumpkinhead77

Post What do you think?

I am begining to wonder if getting a virus protection program is a good idea for a home user. I mean, I have been using computers for 6 years and I have yet to get a virus on MY pc. It is my belief that if you are careful then you will not get a virus. What do you all think?

------------------
    If it's not broken....Fix it!

jay015

Cool

6 years....Lucky. Personally, I won't take that chance. Always have an up to date AV on my home pc & I can't really say that it bogs down performance any. Rather be safe than sorry!

Joker1

Yeah, an antivirus may loose you %5-10 performance (depending on the sys and software) but how much do you lose for a format/reinstall?

------------------
    Warning: Customer id10T rate exceeding safe thresholds!

Exclamation

I'm with them. I haven't had a virus probably for reasons like...I know not to click on something with a VBS extension...I know not to download suspicious looking stuff even if it's from someone I know...etc.

Most of the users I support don't even know those basic things. Not only that, but most of them don't do backups the way they should. I'd much rather put an AV program on their system than deal with the effects of a virus. All it takes is one wicked one to do major damage.

SNAFU

Talking

Your lucky. Then again, I go to websites that have lots of popups and warez and the like. I HAVE to have a firewall and AV, it's saved my butt many times. So, I agree. Even if you don't go anywhere and are safe and cautious, I'd recommend it. Plus, you never know where someone else will go and do if you let them use it (kids, spouse, whatever).

------------------
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for!!

xPoseidonx

Red face

You have to ask yourself is it worth the risk.
    6 years is a long time, but you never can tell when you will run into a virus.

Just the other day I was going through some old boxes that had been packed away in the attic for over 6 years when I came across some old floppies, (btw I am notorious about not labeling my disks), so I popped a few of them in my computer to see what was on them when "BAM" - my antivirus software stopped an old boot sector virus dead in it's tracks.

I would be kicking myself in the butt right now if I did not have my antivirus program running at the time.

------------------
    . . .No matter how hard it rains, you can still break glass with a hammer. .

Ok, Excuse me for being rude...
    Lets use an Alegorie:
    A man aving Sex with no protection for Six whole years. Every day he Meet with another lady and Sleep with her.
    Isn't he an Idiot? Ofcourse he checks about the womens background Etc.

But don't you think it's just a matter of time until he catches HIV, Herpes Etc.

Don't be Stupid, Protection are for using them!

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

harlyblnde

I have had customers tell they have never had a virus and when they bring their computer in for a repair, I have found up to three different ones on the computer. Not all virus are immediately destructive and obvious to find and it's getting so bad that opening an email from an infected friend can get you one, that's just opening it and not downloading any attachments. They have virus out now that you can get just by visiting web sites. I wouldn't want to be without protection.

------------------
    Natural blondes aren't dumb, it's the peroxide that kills brain cells

Think I have only had one virus from someone and that was sent thru email, good thing I had a AV proggie on, it bombed the whole email msg, but at least my machine was still viruii free. That was the first, and hopefully the last in 9 years...

I would say to still stick with AV proggies - it's a hassle d/l all the updates etc, but I reckon its a good bit of security!

GirlGeek

I wouldn't be caught dead without an AV program and I'm to the point that I'm having clients sign waivers that refuse the idea of AV's and firewalls. For instance I've got a new client that is getting a cable modem (business client, highly sensitive client data on all his systems) and he refuses a firewall and AV, why? Becouse he's never had a problem before. Doubtless I'll be the one to clean up the mess but at least I'll have his signed waiver in my files to cover my heiny.

CobraTekMax

Yeah, right! I probably clean off an average of about 20 viruses a week at my shop. And most of which are home users. And some virues, like MTX, can really hose a system.

At home, I personally don't use anything, but for several reasons. #1, I don't use outlook, I use Poco, which is immnune to pretty much all of the java script viruses that prey on security holes. #2, I don't keep any entries in an e-mail client bases address book. I can remember most of the e-mail address I use off the top of my head, and all the others I have in a seperate address book program. #3, I like a clean loading system. The only icon in my systray is the volume control, and that's IT. Windows alone sucks up my resources, and I'm not going to let Norton Auto-Protect or McAfee V-Shield eat up even more.

Now, these 3 things do not apply to Joe Schmoe average user, so therefore, he has to use and AV scanner.

------------------
    I bet you're a real threat in the mucktuck-eating contest!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pumpkinhead77:
    I am begining to wonder if getting a virus protection program is a good idea for a home user. I mean, I have been using computers for 6 years and I have yet to get a virus on MY pc. It is my belief that if you are careful then you will not get a virus. What do you all think?

</font>

Don't have an Anti-virus...hang on a sec I want to send you an email!

Everyone should have one. Whether it is on all the time or not, if you have one there you should occasionally do a system scan. How do you know that you don't have one now? There are viruses that don't do anything till a specific date. Heck, Aopen had the Chernobyl virus in one of there drivers!!

------------------
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking!

Dale Earnhardt #3 (1951-2001)
    You will be missed!

BauerSM

I agree with you all. With the viruses becoming more sophisticated etc. I would rather spend the $30.00 on a AV program then have to spend the time and energy to get rid of a problem that could have been avoided in the first place. That is if you can repair the damage that was done.

How can you be sure that you don’t have a virus?? Look what happened when xPoseidonx looked through some old floppies. Its amazing on what could be hidden...

------------------
    If you are not going to take what I say into consideration please do not waste my time by asking me for my thoughts, ideas or opinions!!!

With the price being $0.00 ( InoculateIT PE from C.A.I. and AVP from Kaspersky)and new virus showing up constantly , how can you afford to not protect your computer ??

QSECOFR

I couldn't say it better myself. I recommend to anyone who asks to get InoculateIT. It runs realtime protection, and it doesn't tax my system like others. It also has an auto-download feature whis is nice. Especially if you have a cable/DSL connection.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rkring1:
    With the price being $0.00 ( InoculateIT PE from C.A.I. and AVP from Kaspersky)and new virus showing up constantly , how can you afford to not protect your computer ??</font>

------------------
    OS/400...At least it's not Microsoft.