[RESOLVED] Boot Sector virus

Thread: [RESOLVED] Boot Sector virus

Ruby2sday

Unhappy Boot Sector virus

Windows98 gave me Boot Sector virus alert...what is this and how do I get rid of it? I tried to just format the HD, but when I tried to re-install windows, it gives error BootSector Write!!! Continue yes/no but it won't let me continue when I enter yes. Please help me?

restart in dos mode and type

fdisk /mbr

This cleans the master boot record. Just because it says its a virus doesn't always mean its a virus. It 'could' be part of a program you installed.

Try a restart after you run that command. If it still detects it you'll have to get a anti virus program.

Make sure you have disable ChipAway in the BIOS too
    Dopey Is My Hero, the king of idiots, the mentors of morons.

My vote goes to the BIOS boot sector virus protection. It will pick up any attempt to write to the boot sector, whether it's a OS install or a virus. Some pop up a screen telling you the boot sector is about to be modified, press Y/N to accept/reject, others just stop you dead. Easiest way is to disable the option in BIOS. BTW, some of my customers think this is an adequate substitute for antivirus software... NO WAY !!!
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

Ruby2sday

Wink

Thank you for your answers....I'll these a try and see what flies....thanks, again!

With that type of virus you would need to erase the first 10 cylinders of the Hard Drive. That is where your boot sectors are for the OS. You can use a program called Drive Pro that will do this for you. Once you have done that you can FDISK, Format, and re-install the operating system that you had on the computer.