Magister Perhaps a new breed?

Thread: Magister Perhaps a new breed?

Post Magister Perhaps a new breed?

Well it's rare for me to remove a virus and fix a machine back to the norm..but today is different...I have received two machine today both with Magister virus...easly enough clean it off and repair damage files well did that now tthe machine won't shut down or restart properly...Try to reload win98se overtop & reinstall shutdown patch nope same thing...Any thouhgts and what to look at now
    "GOOD 2 GO"

Just what are these computers doing now when you shutdown?
    How about Starting back up too?

Let's determine what's going on so we can give sound advice on a solution.

I think you are referring to W32.Magistr.24876@mm, right?

<a href="http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]" target="_blank">Here's</a> a link describing its nasty side-efects and some possible troubleshooting.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Did you add any new Virus Scanning software to clean the machine? 90% of the time I find shutdown problems are related to Virus Scanners.
    Hard work often pays off in the long run, but Lazyness always pays off now.

tcross

Last week we repaired viruses on three machines. This week, each of them have come back with additional problems, we assume caused by the viruses.

We're starting think that the only REAL fix (meaning one that won't come back on us) is format/reinstall.

Check out article #Q242191 on the MS Knowledge Base for error messages caused by MTX/Matrix virus.