CD-R data vs CD-R music

Thread: CD-R data vs CD-R music

Post CD-R data vs CD-R music

In several print ads in this area I have seen this distinction made (see subject). Being very new to this ....is this Bulls7#t or is their actually a difference?
    Rudolph N. Koester
    U.S.Army(disabled)
    ASE Certified Master Engine Machinist

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "...holy ****...what a ride!"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight... he'll just kill you. J. Steinbeck

There are different types of CD-R's out there. The majority can be burned with either data or audio and work in almost any player. There are special CD's for CD recordable decks (orangebook I think) and special ones that are designed to work with newer/pickier CD players. Try the cheapest ones and if they don't work for you, then look for something different.

As far as I know CDR is a standard no matter what is on there. Its all 1s and 0s anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong, guys, but there are no differences in types of CDRs.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

Really the only differance is quality. I can buy a 12 Pack CDR at OfficeMax and maybe 5 will be good and buy a Spool of TDK CDR and maybe have one bad burn in the bunch.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

I usually just burn at a slower speed when I use generic CDR's.

Really it has nothing to do with what you put on it, it is the manufacturing quality that matters. I bought my first CD-RW drive 5 years ago. I bought cheap blank disks. Almost all of those cheapies have unreadable portions, no matter what drive I put them in. There are a few different types of materials used to make CDs and if you want a disk to last ten years or more, you should think of the quality of materials used to make a blank disk. If you are only backing data up that will be useless in a year or two, going with more economical discs will work well enough.
    I've only run into one disc that was bad out of about 300+ that I've made. Almost every bad disc I ever made was due to the computer setup, drive setup or writing program setup.
    If you dig enough, you'll find that brand name does not always mean quality as it is that Sony may not make the blanks. Kodak makes it's own, but some other companies use the same factory to make their discs.
    CD Media World has several great resources for gathering information about discs, companies, manufacturers and the processes behind making a blank disc.
    God is all knowing, I am just human.

There is only 1 difference: Price tag.

Standalone CD-R recorders MUST use music CD-R's, which are more expensive. The reason they are more expensive? The Recording Industry *** . of America gets a cut out of each one, plain and simple.

Computer CD-R drives can use either. There is no real difference in quality, especially between discs made by the same company.