[RESOLVED] To firewall or not to firewall?

Thread: [RESOLVED] To firewall or not to firewall?

Jubilee

Post To firewall or not to firewall?

I have a friend that keeps nagging me to set up a firewall on her computer. Now she uses dial-up and only gets online to check her e-mail and to check her stocks. I have told her many times that she DOES NOT need a firewall, but she insists that I install it for her. What is your opinion?

------------------
    Behold...the power of cheese.

geeksRus

Cool

well...go ahead and set up zonealarm...take 5 minutes and wont hurt anything...and your friend will feel better and she will be off your back.

------------------
    http://www.thetruthconnection.com/

MacGyver

Why argue? Sure, because she is rarely connected the chances of her being hacked are pretty remote, but not impossible. Just install one for her. ZoneAlarm and Tiny Personal Firewall are totally free.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

Yep, set up the firewall. Even on dial-up, without a static URL, you still get fairly frequent probes.

Re: Firewalls
    If you had a firewall installed on a computer, would it block such things as doubleclick admonitor etc? What sort of things would it block on a home computer?
    SusieQ

<a href="http://www.webattack.com/get/adaware.shtml" target="_blank">ad-aware Download removes those such things. Also Free</a>
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

<a href="https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2" target="_blank">Test your Firewall here too!.</a>
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Angry

[quote]Originally posted by Jubilee:
    <strong>I have a friend that keeps nagging me to set up a firewall on her computer. Now she uses dial-up and only gets online to check her e-mail and to check her stocks. I have told her many times that she DOES NOT need a firewall, but she insists that I install it for her. What is your opinion?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay, you convinced me about the firewall, BUT my friend couldn't wait and installed the firewall on her own...she got confused and quit the installation, so she decided to wait for me to do it anyways. She says that some things did install on her computer...I have no idea what she is talking about, but she may have messed things up because now she says that when she goes to download her DAT files that an error pops up and says that it can't install the updates. She uses Norton for an AV program. Now you see what I have to deal with! Tell me what you think she did wrong?

Thanks

I'm assuming she installed Norton Personal Firewall, since LiveUpdate is messed up.

Try to uninstall LiveUpdate itself and re-install the firewall afterwards. LiveUpdate should be usable after this.

Otherwise, re-installing AV software is the next step.

After that, we're talking "FORMAT C:"

There may be other options to get LiveUpdate functional again, but I'm going to let others fill you in on that if they wish to detail other options, regestry edits, etc.

BTW, don't forget to charge extra for "user involvement" and "consultancy research" (us! )
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Angry

[quote]Originally posted by adept:
    <strong>I'm assuming she installed Norton Personal Firewall, since LiveUpdate is messed up.

Try to uninstall LiveUpdate itself and re-install the firewall afterwards. LiveUpdate should be usable after this.

Otherwise, re-installing AV software is the next step.

After that, we're talking "FORMAT C:"

There may be other options to get LiveUpdate functional again, but I'm going to let others fill you in on that if they wish to detail other options, regestry edits, etc.

BTW, don't forget to charge extra for "user involvement" and "consultancy research" (us! )</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is exactly what she did! Nope she couldn't wait for me! I got it out of her as to what she did shortly after I posted my question. What a royal pain in the @$$! It finally does work now...as for getting paid...nope...I guess because I am a friend...You all know those ones I will mention this to her next time that I don't allow anymore freebies...I went through too much agravation and ended up with a headache between her and her barking dog...try concentrating with a barking dog around...that is definately worth a donation...or two!

PS - I don't EVEN want to think about reformatting her computer! *LOL*

Thanks again

Sorry to hear that, Jubilee.

We've all encountered "friends" like that, haven't we?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams