NAV Corporate Edition
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NAV Corporate Edition

Post NAV Corporate Edition

Has anybody used the corporate/server edition of Norton AntiVirus. I need something that will allow me to monitor virus scans across my network and also make sure that definitions are upto date. Also I want it to notify my if there is a virus found somewhere. I have looked around and NAV Corporate seems my best bet. What do you think? THanks, Ian.
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way. ---Pink Floyd

It does everything your asking for
    It's expensive, but so is your data.
    I would defineatly recommend it.

------------------
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

iamtheman

NAV Corporate Edition will do what you are looking for. Only had one bad experience with it.....I had a client running it on Windows95 machines with the Lotus Notes Client, big mistake. The Notes client and symantec have some kind of weird problem with eating all the resources. I worked with Symantec support for some time and could only slightly alleviate the problem.

------------------
    Born to Network

Yanish

Yes the cooperate edition is very good for networks.
    Can update all comps on a weekly basis...
    Definatly well worth it.

captpackrat

Too Expensive.

I recently upgraded from 2000 Pro to 2000 Server, and discovered Norton Anti-Virus 2001 wouldn't work on it. So I checked to see how much the Server version was. I was quoted $500! What?! I then checked with Panda, and their server version was $300. Ick. Still too much!

Finally I found Network Associates NetShield. A single license (which was all I needed) cost me a mere $35. Huh? Why is everyone else so much more expensive?

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by captpackrat:
    Too Expensive.

I recently upgraded from 2000 Pro to 2000 Server, and discovered Norton Anti-Virus 2001 wouldn't work on it. So I checked to see how much the Server version was. I was quoted $500! What?! I then checked with Panda, and their server version was $300. Ick. Still too much!

Finally I found Network Associates NetShield. A single license (which was all I needed) cost me a mere $35. Huh? Why is everyone else so much more expensive?

</font>
    My corpedition Norton server license was 150 bucks, the software was 17 and the seat license were 50 a pop. The pricing structure on enterprise grade and server anti-virus software is based on how many seats you are buying. When getting quotes for av stuff always remember, ITS YOUR DATA, Do you have the time to rebuild it from scrach if you get something nasty? Consider good av software as an insureance policy.

Grider

[This message has been edited by Grider (edited January 15, 2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yanish:
    Yes the cooperate edition is very good for networks.
    Can update all comps on a weekly basis...
    Definatly well worth it.
    </font>
    Actually you can have it try and update every minute if you want :-) Its a memory killer for the server though. My server updates at 10:30p every night and the clients are set to check the server every two hours I beleive. ( I sometimes kick a update in the middle of the day if I notice a new version of the defs out)

Norton is very good, Panda is very good, and I like Innoculan by CA as well. I run Norton at my office and a few others that I consult at.

Grider

We have it at work, and I have set it up on a small test network as a pilot experiment. It is fairly easy to set up, and it seems to work well.

However, I have never been allowed to try a real life deployment of it.

We have no central control of virus updates, and I often visit workstations which have their virus defs almost a year out of date, sometimes more.

I do not understand. I do not understand!

However, mine is not to reason why.

Take the paycheck. Go home.

ibennetch

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by houseisland:
    We have no central control of virus updates, and I often visit workstations which have their virus defs almost a year out of date, sometimes more.
    </font>
    I have never used it but I've seen it installed at my school. Not that it did them any good (the labs are rumored to have more viruses than some of the girls here), because the defs are *so* out of date. I don't know why - perhaps it was set up wrong.

Talking

We use NAV corp on our Satellite Network and it has performed just great. Very pricey. I don't have much faith in anything Norton but this is an exception.

------------------
    If life is a bitch then what is death? I believe I will take the bitch!
    If life is a bitch, then what is death? I believe that I will take the bitch...

NetShield has caused me problems! I went back to NAV-CE. I never have had any problems with NAV-CE

NetShield caused slow downs in the network, expecially when the file server is getting heavy usage, compared to NAV-CE plus I was getting false reporting.

-wayne

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:............Techno®
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

jfesler

I use Norton Enterprise at several locations, it has always worked very well. Very easy to maintain!
    Great utility to distribute the program to each workstation.

Have seen a problem with Windows 95 machines not shutting down, after norton is installed.

------------------
    Everywhere you go, there you are...

Manicheya

Although a little tougher to setup, I would recommend F-Secure Antivirus for your network.

The main reason I like F-Secure is the lower overhead on workstations. F-Secure is also centrally managed and policy-based.

Check it out at www.f-secure.com.

Budster64

yea it's expensive...but it works.
    nuff said

We use it in-house, and it's all we sell to our clients. We have also written some docs for installation and also docs we leave with the onsite admins when we do installs, that outline how to use and monitor NAV CE. Let me know if you want any of these (they're not confidential, and since I'm the one who wrote them, the company doesn't complain!)

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.