computer can't see others on network

Thread: computer can't see others on network

Post computer can't see others on network

okay, heres the problem and what I've done to try to solve it. i've got an NEC running Win98 and it can only see itself on the network. there are 2 other computers in the same room and they see across the network. I've switched cables with a known working one. the light is on on the NIC and Hub. i've reinstalled TCP/IP and network card drivers. its set up for DHCP. i've pinged by DNS and IP and nothing. i've pinged 127.0.0.1 and i get an answer. What does pinging 127.0.0.1 do? I've tried pinging the server but no response. any other ideas.
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

127.0.0.1 is basically pinging yourself. It will insure that tcp/ip is functioning. Look to see that you have the same workgroup and it is spelled correctly and has no hidden spaces.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

I've checked that as well. its on the same workgroup and spelled correctly. i haven't switched out NIC, so I might try that.

You say you are set up as a DHCP server?On the workstation that has the problem go to the command prompt and try ipconfig /all and see if it is actually getting a ip address in the range you have set. if not release and renew.
    If that doesn't work make a reservation for the non connecting pc.You will need the mac address off the non connecting pc which you can get in the ipconfig /all screen.
    If the non working one is on a different subnet it wont see any of the others.

Why not statically set IP and Subnets. Much easier. That will get round your problem with DHCP, theres no need for it on such a small network. Also, have you got NT Server installed on one PC. Is DHCP Server configured correctly? Some ideas for you to chew on, mate

if it's only a 3 puter network then you should go static, but if it's bigger and you do in fact use a dhcp server, check that dhcp for wins resolution is checked and disable dns is checked in the tcp/ip properties of the problem pc.

check to make sure your dhcp server has available ip's to assign
    Compaq sux!

It's actually a 50 pc network. I'm just having problems with that one PC., so thats why its set for DHCP. I'll have to try ipconfig release/renew as suggested. DNS is checked and the previous admin assigned the DNS. They use DSL. I won't be able to try anything until next week though.

Bah, Nevermind, i was thinking of checking the physical connection, but the I checked the original post.
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Compugeek

Are the network names both lower case?
    Just a thought.

Thumbs up

I forgot this thread was still open. well, the problem was solved. I installed a new NIC (the same one, Realtek) and also there was a problem with the cable in the server room, so i switched cables and installed the new NIC and now it can see across the network. Thanks for all the input, thats why this is the BEST place!