Solaris - SAMBA

Thread: Solaris - SAMBA

Post Solaris - SAMBA

I have a lan (linux-windows) and use SAMBA to share files between these two machine. If I use a new server with SOLARIS on it, I still can use SAMBA to share files between the 3 machines ? resume: solaris support samba ?

SAMBA will work on most Unix os, as long as you have the correct source code.

e.g. if you install it on AIX, you must downoad the AIX version from the SAMBA website. Similarly, if you want to install it on Solaris make sure you've got the right source code or binaries. (Sorry for confusion - can't remember if you've got to compile it or whether you can downoad the application ready-compiled...) And it makes a difference which CPU you are running Solaris on - the source code (and therfore binaries) will be different for SPARC and i386 type CPU. Not sure what actually happens if you try to use the wrong software, but get the impression it can't be good

he version you have for Linux won't be compatible with your Solaris box. It's pretty easy to get other versions for different OS, though. And so long as the file structure is same, you should be able to use the same smb.conf on both (just make sure the "share" section points to a valid path on your new Solaris os).
    MG Metro Turbos rule