IIS 4.0 / FTP Server

Thread: IIS 4.0 / FTP Server

Red face IIS 4.0 / FTP Server

Hey folks- got a lot to say- here it goes:

I recently attempted to add user accounts for my FTP server instead of anonymous logins, and changed the default user setting (IUSR_Proxy) to an account I had created in User Manager for Domains and disselected "allow anonymous connections" under Directory Security Tab. I was never able to get the user account I created to sucessfully login (made sure Log on Locally was assigned in User Rights as well as Log on to Network). But after consulting my "Running Windows NT Server 4.0" book I decided that anonymous logins were better-security wise, so I changed the defaults back to IUSR_Proxy.

Now I am only able to login to the FTP server locally. When attempting to access it from a client on my local network I get no directory listings - but I do when logging on locally from the ftp server.

I realize the IUSR_Proxy account and password is created automatically during IIS setup, so when I changed back to the default settings, I had no idea what the original password was so I changed it - both in User Manager and in the IIS console properties shhet for the FTP server. I'm wondering if this is where my problem lies.

Subsequently, I've uninstalled MS Proxy 2.0 SP1 and IIS and reinstalled them hoping I could get around this but still no dice.

I have exhausted MS Technet and resources, as well as my NT Server bible before posting to this forum, but I have decided to come to the Pros for guidance since I cannot get up and running again.

All other IIS services are working fine (Winsock, default WWW, Admin Website, etc.).

Additionally, I would still appreciate if someone could explain how to make FTP Server require user accounts and passwords instead of Anonymous.

As always, Thanks for your help in advance!

The easiest way? Dump the FTP incorporated into IIS and go with G6 or some other 3rd party solution. to this day I've only gotten the native ftp to properly work for very short periods of time. save yourself the headache....but thats me. I also know how you feel when you know it SHOULD work but doesn't so...uninstall/reinstall the FTP service, set it up for anonymous logins only and cross your fingers
    #3 1951-2001

Weazel:

I'm thinking you are oh so right! Way too many inconsistencies with MS prods!! lol

....redirecting to <a href="http://www.bpftpserver.com" target="_blank">Bullet Proof FTP Server (formerly G6)</a>...thanks!