[RESOLVED] ethernet 10 card with ethernet 100 hub

Thread: [RESOLVED] ethernet 10 card with ethernet 100 hub

ectti

Angry ethernet 10 card with ethernet 100 hub

i just bought a 100 Mbps hub to "speed up" my homeīs little network, but i just realized that my piece of $#!% PCMCIA ehertnet card (for my laptop) only supports 10 Mbps.
    is there anything i can do to get my laptop back in the network whitout having to buy a new 100 mbps pcmcia card for it?
    like some trick with the wiring or somethin?
    please help.

------------------
    "Dumb Is not the One who does not know, But the one that does not know AND DOES NOT ASK!"

You can put it back on the network just fine the way it is only its gonna be at 10Mbs not 100
    #3 1951-2001

StevePorter

Thumbs down

Weazel's right. Your whole network will be limited in speed to the slowest device, in this case you 10Mbs NIC...

------------------
    Some computer problems require extreme solutions. Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to deep fat fry...

gmiller220

Unless the hub is ONLY 100Mbs

------------------
    Boy, I'm tired of being right.

Did you buy a hub - or a intelligent switch?

Also check Best Buy or CompUSA they both had 10/100 PCMCIA NIC's for less than $50

If you bought an intelligent switch the LAN speed will not be affected - however a hub will only work on a shared bandwith plane of the slowest device - ie. 10/Half.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

http://cybertech.freehomepage.com/
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

ectti

the hub is 100mbps ONLY, i have tried connecting the laptop but it doesnt work,
    the "link" indicator on the hub (the 1 on the port the laptopīs connected to)
    doesnt light up and i get no connection

------------------
    "Dumb Is not the One who does not know, But the one that does not know AND DOES NOT ASK!"

gmiller220

Either return the hub (if you still can) and get a dual speed or get a new NIC that is dual speed and will support 100Mbs.

------------------

DONOT get a 10/100 hub. your network will work with it, but everything will run at 10. get a 10/100 switch. this allows computers runnig at 100 to talk at 100, and translates for everything running at 10. it cost more, but gets way better performance (mostly beacsue its is smart enought to know whcih cable to send the signal to rather than sending it to everyone).

------------------
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.

gmiller220

I agree with that last post. And they are not that much more expensive for a small switch. I've seen them for less than 45 dollars. Check www.pricewatch.com

------------------