Internet issue AT&T Switch over...

Thread: Internet issue AT&T Switch over...

Post Internet issue AT&T Switch over...

Ever since the AT&T Switch over from Excite@home to their own network, my network connection has been in and out...

Well I do get a connection over all, but it's intermitten...BTW I am using Win2k

When I lose the connection what seems to work is to go into my Network settings and disable my local area network connection, which so happends to be on a my Linksys router...

When I reenable the connection like in a few seconds everything comes back up...then all is well until I lose the connection again...

I have tried to connect the cablemodem directly to my PC but I get the same issue..

I have done everything from going static, and back to Dynamic IPs, and I get the same crap..
    I leave ICQ running all day usually, but lately I would leave it alone for a few minutes to an hour and it would disconnect and my Weatherbug would disconnect as well..

I have called AT&T about 13 times and they don't have a clue, they told me to just wait. I just called a few times today and they are not taking calls now..It hangs up on you..

Can someone explain to me if is this a Windows issue with the new network and I can fix this?
    or is this truely a AT&T problem...

any help in this matter would be great...
    thanx
    Tyan Trinity 400 Mobo
    Pentium3 933MHZ 133MHZ bus
    ATI Radeon 7000 AGP
    SoundBlaster Live XGamer 5.1
    512 Megs of Kingston PC133 SDRAM
    Windows XP Professional
    -------------
    RW
    A+

sounds like an AT&T issue to me
    #3 1951-2001

The solution to that and router problems in my area is to set everything to dynamic IP's etc., but to manually set the DNS servers. You can pre-test whether that will work for you by the following method:

When your connection fails, rather than rebooting, click on 'start', 'run', and type 'cmd' to get to a DOS prompt. Now type 'ipconfig /flushdns' and press enter. Next type 'ipconfig /renew' and enter. If you can now browse again without having to reboot then the fix I described should fix your problem. I had dozens of customers who were unable to use their routers until I came up with this solution. Now everyone is happy and I can start catching up on other jobs that have gone waiting.....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

FYI

I heard that AT&T seriously cut the bandwidth that @home customers used to have. If I can find a source I will post it.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

Last I checked, the speeds were supposed to be:

1500 Downstream
    128 Upstream

I don't actually remember what @Homes speeds were but I think they were the same.
    (edit)
    <h1>BUT</h1>
    Holy crap!
    my speeds are as follows :`(tested w/ the CA server)
    download «159 kbps
    upload «125 kbps
    <u>That</u> Downstream is slow!

(edit #2)

<h3>PHEW!!!</h3> tested a second time :`( with the LA server)
    download «1430 kbps
    upload «124 kbps

go to <a href="http://www.dslreports.com" target="_blank">http://www.dslreports.com</a> and check your <a href="http://www.dslreports.com/stest" target="_blank">speed.</a>
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Thumbs down

Well I have just about done everything I could...
    I set myself Dynamic on my Linksys router..
    then Static..

Right now I am static..
    and there is no difference...

But AT&T is offering for those who are suffering from this problem free AT&T dialup Worldnet service..

Which believe it or not is faster than my cable modem..

I have tried and tried to call AT&T about my problems, but now all I get is an automated message explaining their problems and then it hangs up..

I have been WAR dialing them just to see if I can get in...
    for three days..
    THE SAME OLD GARBAGE!!!

I ordered Ameritech DSL but because of the issues with people leaving and switching they wouldn't be avalable until Feb.

Bottom line Dialup is the way to go..
    Back to the dark ages...
    Tyan Trinity 400 Mobo
    ATI Radeon 7000 AGP
    Windows XP Professional
    -------------
    RW
    A+

Dude your located in chicago right? Is DSL available in your area? I use ameritech and they have been GREAT. Just a thought.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

[quote]Originally posted by Gollo:
    <strong>Dude your located in chicago right? Is DSL available in your area? I use ameritech and they have been GREAT. Just a thought.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep Chicago!
    I already ordered DSL, but because of the chaos Ameritech has told me that they will have a tech avalable to hook me up as early as Feb.

But they are giving free installations and activations!!

But I'll keep the order just in case AT&T keeps up with this garbage. But I'll wait and weather it out.
    Tyan Trinity 400 Mobo
    ATI Radeon 7000 AGP
    Windows XP Professional
    -------------
    RW
    A+

I was just curious Rob, as I lived around Chicago up until earlier this year. Whereabouts in relation to Chicago are you? I'm originally from around Downers Grove (SouthWestBurbs), but last year I was living in Elmhurst by North Ave. and York Rd. and we had AT&T@Home there. Our cable was on old Cablevision lines (aparently AT&T bought them and never re-lined) according to traceroutes, and it seemed to me that even though they advertised we'd only get 1.5Mbs, we were actually getting much higher rates. I think the highest I ever got was downloading 4 files at once for a total of over 350KBs, at least that is what I got by adding up the download windows, each at over 85KB/s. I was loving it.

With the crap that's going down with Excite and AT&T, can someone clarify some history or something on the deal for me? My understanding when I was using it was that we had AT&T@Home and it had no relation to Excite. Then it seemed like sometime over this summer I had heard Excite@Home for the first time. I'm a bit confused on the whole issue. Are they different (AT&T@Home vs. Excite@Home)? Did Excite buy @Home from AT&T and now they went bankrupt and this whole thing is about AT&T taking it back over? Or what?

-Danyll
    Danyll

If we live in an insane world, how can I be normal if I'm sane?
    "I'm reminded of the immortal words of Socrates who said-'I drank what?'"-Val Kilmer (Real Genius)

[quote]Originally posted by Rob Wagner:
    <strong>

Yep Chicago!
    I already ordered DSL, but because of the chaos Ameritech has told me that they will have a tech avalable to hook me up as early as Feb.

But they are giving free installations and activations!!

But I'll keep the order just in case AT&T keeps up with this garbage. But I'll wait and weather it out.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OUCH!!!! Man that sucks. Yeah I ordered the self install with the free activation. The equipment arrived 10 days later and the service was activated about 4 days after that. Plus on top of the free activation and equipment I got a 150 dollar gift/mastercard to boot. Not a bad deal. That seems like an afully long time to have to wait. Did the give you an explination other than 'because of the chaos'?
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

[quote] Did Excite buy @Home from AT&T and now they went bankrupt and this whole thing is about AT&T taking it back over? Or what? <hr></blockquote>

Actually, It was @Home corp first, then @home bought excite. They begat Excite@home. They were unhappy and poor, so they partnered with other companies to carry the @home moniker. (at&t@home, comcast@home, or antietam@home (like mine). Excite@home was happy. But clouds began to appear on the horizon. Excite@home was under massive debt loads, and was in danger of defaulting. Excite@home offered AT&T (its biggest shareholder) to delcare bankruptcy in order for AT&T to buy them. AT&T was blocked, and they built their own network.
    Good old NetWare 3.11... if only modern O/Ss were made of the same stuff. Forget Windows 2000 for 99.999% uptime, this one had it ten years ago.

i have at&t now and am in hammond our lines run threw chicago or so they claim, we hd 3 days of interupted service and then it was back , no prolems to date , except getting laggy at online gaming wich is anouther post................. up load is around 115 down loads best 580 somtimes less im usaly on late at night day time speeds can crawl at times
    Its not the end of the world but you can see it from here. sys, 1.3 tbird 266 on asus av7 133, 1536 megs pc 133,elsa gladiac gts 32 ddr vidio card, sound blaster 5.1 platinum,{3} 40 gig western dig ata 100, 7200 drives {2}maxtors 1 60 and 1 80 gig ata 10 7200 drivescreative 5x dvd {it works!}56x light on {no shatterd disks yet}and a 24xs plextor enermax power at400 watt and cable modom ! running xp pro