I have a brand new 3Com OfficeConnect Firewall that won't detect the internet router. I have tested the firewall on another internet connection, tested the cabling, made sure everything is plugged in correctly, configured the firewall correctly, and made sure I'm using the correct cable type. However, no matter what I try I cannot get the wan LED on the firewall to show activity. Even if the firewall is incorrectly configured, it should at minimum show an active connection LED lit for the wan.

The firewall works perfectly over both my cable connection at home, and also over an ISDN connection at another location so I do not believe the unit is faulty.

I can connect to the internet through the router as long as I don't have the firewall in place, so the router is functioning.

The company that provided the router will not give recommendations as to what firewall they believe works best with their equipment, which is one reason I went with 3Com because I've always found their products to be rock-solid. Of course, the router/internet provider keeps telling me that the firewall itself is at fault and 3Com says that it's a problem with the router and not the firewall.

I'm stumped...anyone have any bright ideas short of taking a sledgehammer to the entire mess?