[RESOLVED] 3Com firewall does not detect router

Thread: [RESOLVED] 3Com firewall does not detect router

La Soleil

Post 3Com firewall does not detect router

I have a brand new 3Com OfficeConnect Firewall that won't detect the internet router. I have tested the firewall on another internet connection, tested the cabling, made sure everything is plugged in correctly, configured the firewall correctly, and made sure I'm using the correct cable type. However, no matter what I try I cannot get the wan LED on the firewall to show activity. Even if the firewall is incorrectly configured, it should at minimum show an active connection LED lit for the wan.

The firewall works perfectly over both my cable connection at home, and also over an ISDN connection at another location so I do not believe the unit is faulty.

I can connect to the internet through the router as long as I don't have the firewall in place, so the router is functioning.

The company that provided the router will not give recommendations as to what firewall they believe works best with their equipment, which is one reason I went with 3Com because I've always found their products to be rock-solid. Of course, the router/internet provider keeps telling me that the firewall itself is at fault and 3Com says that it's a problem with the router and not the firewall.

I'm stumped...anyone have any bright ideas short of taking a sledgehammer to the entire mess?

iamtheman

What kind of router is it?

------------------
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

La Soleil

I wish I knew. It was provided by Espire, and resides as a relatively unmarked simple metal box in the closet where the phone lines come into the building. It connects to a 256k data line out.

Espire will not give me information about it other than the IP address information. I don't have configuration access to it, all config is done on Espire's side of things.

It's not marked with any brand/model information.

[This message has been edited by La Soleil (edited October 03, 2001).]

gmiller220

This might sound dumb but do you have it connected before or after the router? Just a thought.

------------------
    Boy, I'm tired of being right.

La Soleil

That's okay, I ask other people dumb questions all day long, so I understand. Yes, the firewall is in the correct spot, ie it resides between my network and the router.
    I did discover something interesting this morning, however. I stuck one of those cheap little 4-port Linksys hubs between the firewall and the router, and when I do that the firewall gets link detection. Remove the mini-hub, and link detection is gone. It makes no sense to me, but then again I'm just starting to learn about routers & firewalls.

gmiller220

Give us a rundown of what all you are using. What ISP and modem type, Router make and model and what exact model of the 3com firewall. That should help everybody get an idea of what's going on.

------------------
    Boy, I'm tired of being right.

iamtheman

Try both a crossover and a straight through cable between the firewall and the router, who knows what kind of port is on that router.

------------------
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

IF you get link connecting the two together through a hub, using straight through cables, then you would need to use a cross over cable to connect the two devices together directly without the hub.

condor

you said it's working on another connection - that should be your starting point. analyze what's different between your setup and the one it worked on.

Hope it helps

------------------
    Main Entry: Cal·i·for·nia condor (noun), circa 1889
    Etymology: California, state of U.S.
    A large nearly extinct vulture (Gymnogyps californianus) found most recently in the mountains of southern California that is related to the condor of So. America