[RESOLVED] Net Logon service can't start in Win200Pro

Thread: [RESOLVED] Net Logon service can't start in Win200Pro

WiZKiD666

Angry Net Logon service can't start in Win200Pro

Spent 3 days formatting and re-installing a cliet station in the network because it would see the network, see the domain, but would not be able to log on to it.

Played with services later on and found out that the service which allows you to connect to the domain (Net Logon) is not being started. When starting it manually I get the message "This service cannot start. Error code 3095"... In system log it nicely tells me that the service isn't being started because I'm not logging on to any domains therefor don't need it.

Kind of like a chicken and an egg... with no chicken there can be no egg, and with no egg there can be no chicken. Can't start the Net Logon because system not logging on to a domain, but can't log on to the domain because Net Logon can't start.

Some specs on the cliet/server:

Client:
    PII 450
    128MB Ram
    Win2000 (Build 2195 Free)
    3Com 905B-TX Net Card

Server:
    PIII 800MHz (socket)
    256MB Ram
    Win2000 Advanced Server (Build 2195)
    Intel Pro100 PCI Net Card

Any help would be greatly appeciated. Spent too much time on this and getting desperate.

Thanks guys...

--------------------
    What if Microsoft created a module built into Windows that would give them access to your entire system just by calling up your IP?

Hmmmm...okay, was it this way when you found it or did you just install the computer and get this error message. I ask because I vaguely remember running across a similiar problem in NT when i loaded NT without a NIC in the computer, I think I serviced packed it then put the NIC in it and got the problem you are getting, i think the fix according to microsoft's knowledge base was to reservice pack it after installing the NIC.

------------------
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

futuretech

Try going back to workgroup on the client.
    After reboot rejoin domain.
    Had a similar problem once and this was the only cure after trying a lot of other stuff.We came to the conclusion that the mac address wasnt being seen by the server.

WiZKiD666

Talking

Service Pack II... Good idea, haven't thought of that.

Oh and to futuretech:

That's the problem I'm having.. I'm unable to setup/connect to a domain.. Either gives me a "no domain" or "network path not found" error message and refers me back to the workgroup.

Thanks for the help guys

Arthur

rprestenback

Are any other clients on the same cable as this one? If so, are they having trouble connecting to the server? It seems like your actual error is that the client can't see the DC for that domain. It seems rather odd that the client can see the domain, but not login to it, so try finding out where the browsemaster is, (this would tell you if it's the DC or not). Can the client see the DC at all? If it can, then most likely you haven't set up the computer account in the domain yet. Make sure that you're logging into the client as someone with "Add computers to domain" permissions, and make sure that if your DC isn't on the same physical subnet as your DC, that you either have broadcast forwarding enabled on your router, or have the domain's IP address in the client's hosts file.

I suppose some of those steps may be overkill, but then again, when you can't get something to work, sometimes NOTHING is overkill.
    Ron

------------------
    If it ain't broke, you ain't tweaking it hard enough!

[This message has been edited by rprestenback (edited October 08, 2001).]

WiZKiD666

Unhappy

Well, Service pack didn't help.

There are other computers on the network, running both windows 98 and windows 2000. All of them log on fine.

If I put in a hard drive with windows 98 the computer will log on, windows 2000 won't. I tried re-installing it on a different system... same thing. Funny thing is though that I can get a new win98 client to log on, but not 2000, and existing win2000 clients log on fine.

I have tried creating a completely new computer/user in the Win2000AS Active Directory... same thing with Win2000, but 98 will log on fine.

I am considering that the problem is the server, but why can't the new win2000 computer log on with username/computername of an existing win2000 client that is working fine?

I'm frustrated.

Help.

Arthur

techie211

Hey WiZKiD666, Had simular problem and found a setting in the 'Net Logon' service that was wrong. Hope this image helps!

l8r

------------------
    "knowledge is power"

zsh31689

Exclamation

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by rprestenback:
    Are any other clients on the same cable as this one? If so, are they having trouble connecting to the server? It seems like your actual error is that the client can't see the DC for that domain. It seems rather odd that the client can see the domain, but not login to it, so try finding out where the browsemaster is, (this would tell you if it's the DC or not). Can the client see the DC at all? If it can, then most likely you haven't set up the computer account in the domain yet. Make sure that you're logging into the client as someone with "Add computers to domain" permissions, and make sure that if your DC isn't on the same physical subnet as your DC, that you either have broadcast forwarding enabled on your router, or have the domain's IP address in the client's hosts file.

I suppose some of those steps may be overkill, but then again, when you can't get something to work, sometimes NOTHING is overkill.
    Ron

</font>
    I've having similar difficulties with the "Net Logon" service refusing to start -- You're referring to the LMHosts File & replacing Hybrid with Broadcast as the node type?

------------------
    CSL: Computers As A Second Language

Could try setting a static IP in the range of the servers scope.Then a default gateway pointing to the server.
    Set a reservation as well if you want.
    After you achieve connectivity you should be able to put it back to obtain automatically.

[quote]Originally posted by zsh31689:
    <strong>

I've having similar difficulties with the "Net Logon" service refusing to start -- You're referring to the LMHosts File & replacing Hybrid with Broadcast as the node type?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, there are many reasons why netlogon won't start. You can usually begin to troubleshoot by going into your Event viewer and seeing if any other errors have occurred after or immediately prior to the netlogon failure. (Many times, there will also be failures along the performance library lines e.g. perfproc, srvctrs, etc.)

If so, you can use this site to quickly check what your event message means, and which Knowledge Base Article (usually) holds the solution:

<a href="http://www.eventid.net/" target="_blank">http://www.eventid.net/</a>

Now, as to your question regarding my previous post - Yes, I was speaking of the lmhosts file, which by default, isn't on the system. You can find the lmhosts.sam file (a sample lmhosts) in the \winnt\system32\drivers\etc\ directory, but I wouldn't advise simply adding your entries to this file and renaming it. Instead, just make a new lmhosts file in the same directory, with these entries, assumming 192.168.50.50 is the network address of your DC, and dept.company.net is the domain name for your domain:

192.168.50.50 dept #DOM

And that's it for the lmhosts file.
    As far as H-node or B-node, this will happen automatically when you configure various options regarding WINS and NetBIOS, and regardless, unless you are actually using a WINS server, then these two modes will perform the same function.

To the person who couldn't log a new account into the domain - Make sure you are using the Administrator account, or as I stated previously (albeit without the exact right phrase) someone who has "Join workstations to domain" permissions in Domain Security Policy on the DC. Make sure these changes propagate to the Domain Controller Security Policy and the Local Security Policy (ALL ON THE DC) by checking the Effective Permissions column of the User Rights Policy for the user account you are using to be listed among those having that permission.

Now, the reason that it seems to work in Win98 and not 2000 is because Win98 FORCES you to enter the correct syntax for joining a domain (the problem lies with NetBIOS in the first place). What you want to do for Win2000:
    1. From the Network Identification tab in System Properties, click on "Properties".

2. Click radio button next to "Domain" and enter (using the domain from the above example) ONLY "dept" as the domain name (no quotes).

3. A dialog box will pop up asking you for the user name and passwd of an account authorized to join this computer to the domain.

4. Regardless of which account you used to log onto the local computer, enter either the Domain Administrator's userid and passwd, or that of an account you selected to have "Join workstation..." permission earlier.

5. If it tells you that "The credentials you are trying to use are already in use" or some other such gunk, then that means the local computer has already established a connection to domain cotroller SOMEHOW - WHICH MEANS, and here is the important part - If you try to access a share on the DC or any other computer in the broadcast domain controlled by the DC BEFORE you are authenticated, THIS COUNTS as the "credentials" this error mentions.

You must have NEVER tried to connect to the DC for any reason before trying to join the domain. This includes browsing the local network, workgroup, whatever. Best thing to do is reboot, making sure you don't have any drives mapped to ANYTHING, no logon scripts or any apps that try to access the internet (probably through NAT - on the DC perhaps). Before doing anything, join the domain by going through the above steps.

Let me know if you still have problems.

Ron Prestenback
    Community standards do not maintain themselves: They're
    maintained by people actively applying them, visibly, in public. - Eric Raymond