sharing a DSL connection from the outside?

Thread: sharing a DSL connection from the outside?

Question sharing a DSL connection from the outside?

hey ppl! I have a DSL connection with a LinkSys router. What do I need to have someone from the outside dial in and share my connection? Is this even possible? I'm thinking a Win2k server/RRAS with router distributing an ip address. Haven't experimented yet. Hope someone has some good hints/info

l8r
    "knowledge is power"

Exclamation

Where is the sense in dailing in ????
    They're still dailing so why not just connect to an ISP??
    It'd only screw with your access. The only sense in sharing would be if they could connect using a LAN or something like that. I understand some companies don't like that but to be honest in the UK I'd share with my neighbours if only I could get a decent line.

You can share an internet connection in several ways: Using built in OS features, using hardware or using Proxy software.

Search through previous posts and you're bound to find some tips.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

I just noticed that you've posted the same question in another part of the forums.

You should only ask in one place. I know your new so don't think this is a moan. If you go to the other post you can delete it or a MOD will end up doing it for you.

Hope my last post helps with the ideas of sharing a line.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

Talking

thanks for the reply. And sorry about the other post thing.Was hoping I'd get more replys that way. Anyway, 'free' internet access minus the call charge. I know it'll be a slow link but mine is constant and thought it would be a great learning experience if anything.

I'll do a search on this subject l8r.

Thanks
    "knowledge is power"

You are on the right track. I use a proxy instead of a router but I have my mom dial in so she may use my cable line. even though I am only saving $10, an extra phone line is cheaper then an isp. anyways, it's fun experience.
    Those who say dont know, and those who know dont say

It will most likely, also be a breach of your contract with your DSL provider. ie: re-distributing their service. Not good.
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

[quote]Originally posted by EvilCabbage:
    <strong>It will most likely, also be a breach of your contract with your DSL provider. ie: re-distributing their service. Not good.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That always got me, they really never kick a fit when people use routers but you set a dial up or a NAN and they are all over you.
    Those who say dont know, and those who know dont say